SASS Wire Forum

Launching an Aircraft from a Carrier.

Subdeacon Joe

SIMPLE!

It sounds simple enough; launching aircraft off the ship.

First you drive the aircraft to the catapult, then you hook it to the catapult, fire catapult, plane flies. Usually, most of the time they do.

But the devil is in the details and I am here to give you some of those details. Here is how it works.

Pretty complete and accurate write up with good pics! It is a bit dated, but the basics all still apply.

He mentions "Flanchoring" near the end - Flying at Anchor. We did it with A-7s, also - about the last tactical jet that could do it, both launch and land with ship at anchor and minimal natural wind.

We could do it (and did just twice in my career), but it was pretty hard cat shot and really dicey on the landing, in particular - just not enough wind to slow the relative speed (and descent angle) to what you were used to.

Thanks Joe, hadn't thought about Flanchoring in years! :D

Glad you enjoyed it! I find odd stuff like that, pass it on. I figure that SOMEONE here will find it interesting, entertaining, educational, or nostalgic.

I find a lot of your posts interesting and educational, Please keep it up. Just that sometimes on my tablet it is hard to post a reply and when I get to a real PC I forget to thank you.

I find a lot of your posts interesting and educational, Please keep it up. Just that sometimes on my tablet it is hard to post a reply and when I get to a real PC I forget to thank you.

Eh! No need for thanks. The comments that get posted, like Harvey's comments about "Flanchoring" and how he hadn't thought of it in years, and the twists and turns that get taken are thanks enough. I think I get more enjoyment out of those than all y'all get from my initial posts.

Hats of to those guys. It's an amazing process. Watching videos, it seems like a frightening ballet, apparently chaotic on the surface, but performed with exquisite precision.

Harvey, how many Gs does a pilot/crew experience on launch? Does it vary by weight and aircraft type? How many on landing?

Interesting question, Slim. Depends on how you usually think of "G"s. The force of "gravity, one "G", is generally referred to in the vertical dimension, relative to the earth's surface.

As such, a cat shot involves mostly transverse G, thrusting the pilot/crew back (transverse) in the seat, rather than vertically. In equivalent force, the modern steam catapults initially start around 4-6 transverse G, then sustain 3 or or so to achieve the appropriate launch speed for a particular aircraft type, and it's gross weight. Thus, it does vary a bit. Some aircraft have individual design quirks dependent on the landing gear dynamics, CG, and overall design moments. The original F/A-18 design for example, squatted a bit before accelerating forward-very sharp vertical negative, then positive G factor, affecting the pilot.

Carrier landings are the reverse of the transverse G (pilot/crew) thrust forward against the locked harness. Locking the harness is part of the landing checklist. If you forget to do it, you eat the instrument panel (and/or the stick).

Landing also involves vertical G as you are descending roughly 13-14ft/sec on a perfect 3-1/2deg glide slope landing (in really bad weather with a pitching deck you fly 4deg-higher rate of descent). If you are settling when you land, that can increase, exponentially. Sounds more complicated than it is, but it is incredibly rewarding when done correctly, by all concerned.

This was probably more than you wanted to know, but one more comment:

As UB alluded to, the deck crew are the unsung heroes in carrier aviation. The flight deck is the most dangerous place I have ever occupied, period. Especially at night.

On more than one black a$# night with pitching deck and near zero visibility, I(and others) landed, and when climbing out of the bird, grabbed our Plane Captain and said "get me off this d@#$ flight deck safely". They average 19 years old, and I admire them greatly!

Harvey

Archived