SASS Wire Forum

Stuff to do near Carlsbad, NM?

Charlie Harley, #14153

I'm visiting my daughter in December and she wants to take a day trip to Carlsbad.

I know the caverns national park is there, but was curious what other stuff might be in the area. We both enjoy hiking and the outdoors.

Does anyone live locally and can recommend a great place to hike and picnic?

Any touristy things to do?

Also, we're thinking about spending one night there to avoid having to make a round trip in one day. Anyone know of a good cabin rental?

I appreciate any thoughts the Saloon may have.

Carlsbad, NM is pretty dry most of the year. Take plenty of water and keep a close eye on weather reports in the area you are hiking. Weather here can occasionally be extreme. When we do get rain the arroyos quickly become death traps.

McKittrick canyon is further south of us than the caverns and is a nice hike:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nps.gov%2Fgumo%2Fplanyourvisit%2Fmckittrick.htm&ei=0xFmVJDIOMKyyATJ_oLQBg&usg=AFQjCNGZKZkwf-HjjK90zbOZgiXa4YtVrQ&bvm=bv.79142246,d.aWw

Ruidoso and Cloudcroft to the west provide good mountain hiking.

The oil industry has really invaded as of late and hotels have been priced around $200/night (If you can find a room). We have had several hotels open recently, so maybe that issue has improved. I hear Hobbs, NM to the east is as bad. Roswell, NM to the north has had better rates in my experience. I know of no cabins in Carlsbad. There is at least one KOA and several RV parks in the area. Search thoroughly for what you want and book in advance to avoid a last-minute scramble.

You could, of course, time it to shoot with the Seven Rivers Regulators: http://www.sevenrr.com/(every third Saturday of the month)

-Alchemy John

If your into western history at all go to Lincoln. Lots of Billy the Kid stuff and the courthouse is still standing. You can stand in the window where Billy shot Olly, stand at the top of the stares where Billy overpowered the deputy and shot him, visit Tunstall and Sweney's graves. I wasn't all that much into the Billy the Kid story despite my SASS name but found it a great place to visit. There is also an old Indian site not to far away where you can walk a trail that wanders around a hill full of petrogliphs. I can't remember the name of the park off hand but it is shown on all the maps.

I s'pose you could rent a tractor and buzz the Tastee-Freeze...just a thought. ;-)

Seriously, Lincoln NM (Billy the Kid territory) is north and slightly west of Carlsbad, approximately 150 miles and 2 1/2 hours one-way, over State roads (no Interstate), and with no real stopping along the way. I suggest you gas up before you leave, going either way. You'd think Lincoln us a tourist trap, but it really is not. There's s lot of history there that requires a good understanding of the Lincoln County War in order to appreciate the area and the people. Even today, strong emotions are held by long-time native residents regarding that era. Billy's buried in the old cemetery, not in Lincoln, but in Fort Sumner, NM.

If you do go to Carlsbad, DRESS IN LAYERS!

Inside the Caverns, it's a perpetual 56 degrees F. Check the Internet to see if the Caverns are even are open this time of year and the operating hours.

I don't care what the outside daytime temperature is, this time of year as the day ends, starting maybe 3:30 and certainly as the sun sets, it will quickly turn cold; sometimes bitter cold. Temps below freezing should be no surprise. This is high desert country and will routinely have these wide variations in hi-lo temps! Bring good jackets! It could be t-shirt warm (80 degrees, maybe) in the day, 40 degrees at sunset and in the twenties by 8 PM. This is no exaggeration.

I don't know about the bats this time of year, so it may be seasonal, but you can see them exit the Caverns by the thousands at dusk, headed out to feed.

Have a great trip!

Just west of Lincoln is Capatan(sp?), where Smokey Bear was found during a forest fire and is also buried. Nice small museum dedicated to Smokey.

I thought a couple scenes of The Getaway (Steve McQueen and Ali McGraw) were filmed in Carlsbad in the early 1970's.

Archived