SASS Wire Forum

Hard Drive.

Subdeacon Joe

The first hard drives I ever dealt with were less than 1MB and the motor and controller were in a unit about the size and shape of the dishwasher under the counter in your kitchen. The drive platters/heads were in a thing that looked for all the world like a cake carrier and set down on the unit. We were told to be careful with the interchangeable drive sets and they showed us a set someone had dropped. The misalignment was so slight you could not come close to seeing it....they had taken a band saw and sliced away almost half - way thicker in the center than the edges. single sided platters in those days for that reason.

Of course that whole installation was an antique by the time I saw it....a year later the center director offered to sell me the computer that ran those drives and the card reader (!) for $1500 since they had finally replaced it. I asked him what on earth I would do with an IBM 360....

From the Wikipedia article on the history of hard disk drives:

In 1973, IBM introduced the IBM 3340 "Winchester" disk drive, the first significant commercial use of low mass and low load heads with lubricated platters. This technology and its derivatives remained the standard through 2011. Project head Kenneth Haughton named it after the Winchester 30-30 rifle because it was planned to have two 30 MB spindles; however, the actual product shipped with two spindles for data modules of either 35 MB or 70 MB. The name 'Winchester' and some derivatives are still common in some non-English speaking countries to generally refer to any hard disks (e.g. Hungary, Russia).

I've seen drives like the one Rusty described at a swap meet. After sitting all day in a dry, dusty gravel parking lot with lots of traffic, they didn't have a prayer of ever working again regardless of the sign that said "WORKS! $50" posted over them.

Many years back we bought a Phoenix Drive. 6 15" platter housed in a round unit 24" wide by 5 ' tall. Biggest unit in Southwest Missouri. It had a total of 1 meg of storage. I don't know how many people asked why we wanted one so big. No way could you ever fill 1 meg of storage!

The first Macintosh I bought for my graphic design business in 1990 had 8 MB of RAM, a 16 megahertz processor and no internal hard drive.

Mac IIc: $3,500.

22" greyscale monitor: $3,500

Greyscale scanner: $1,100

80 MB external drive: $1,100

B/W laser printer: $3,500

Total: $12,700

And then there was the software for another $5,000

Had to replace it 4 years later...

Archived