SASS Wire Forum

Modify the 1858 or in-line capper?

Tombstone Tex

As the topic suggests folks, I am curious as to what we all think. Is it better to modify the Remington 1858 cylinder for capping, or just get an in-line capper? I have done google searches and I haven't run across any opinions on this forum specifically. I know there is a good crowd of capnball shooters on here that shoot many different styles with the reliability of cartridge guns. So what say you?

The in-line capper needs modification to work as well.

Easier to take a dremmel to the Remmie cylinder.

Then you can use any capper you like.

--Dawg

remmiecylinder.jpg

Then replace yer nips with Treso or Slix and yer gun is easy to use and very reliable.

--Dawg

Rowdy Yates added this modification to the basic action job on my Pietta 1858 Remington's.

My T/C clear view cappers slip right in, just match the angled out nipples.

Send him a note for price and availability.

AR

I thought about the finger method, but I'll tell ya what...I have big hands which means chub fingers, I find it very diffcult to put on with my fingers on the 58...plus I have seen what happens to one's thumb when they do it that way, not something I want.

Dawg, looks like a relatively easy mod, but I gotta say, those two cylinders look extremely different, even with the locking grooves. I have ordered the nips for the 58 already, they just have not been installed yet. I suppose I won't be doing a match anytime soon with it, I want to make sure I can hit right with the 58 and the 60 army consistently before match performance haha.

The cylinder that has been modified came on a gun I bought from Larsen Pettifogger.

He added a bushing to protect the cylinder pin from fouling out.

One may be from a Pietta and the other from an Uberti, I don't remember.

I took the pic several years ago to show how the nipple recesses can be modified for use with a capper.

I use a capper on all my cap guns -- I am inept at capping with my fingers.

--Dawg

Or use your fingers to put them on then seat with a push stick. I have only shot one match with mine but I found that to be easier.

I do that too but have caught myself pushing the cap all the way on with my fingers. That is dangerous! If you use your fingers be very focused on not seating caps with fingers. Use a push stick.

I thought about the finger method, but I'll tell ya what...I have big hands which means chub fingers, I find it very diffcult to put on with my fingers on the 58...plus I have seen what happens to one's thumb when they do it that way, not something I want.

Dawg, looks like a relatively easy mod, but I gotta say, those two cylinders look extremely different, even with the locking grooves. I have ordered the nips for the 58 already, they just have not been installed yet. I suppose I won't be doing a match anytime soon with it, I want to make sure I can hit right with the 58 and the 60 army consistently before match performance haha.

Besides learning how to hit targets with your cap and ball revolvers you must learn how to keep them running through a day of shooting. Take them out and shoot them without thorough cleaning and learn how many stages you can shoot before they bind or caps start misfiring. Then learn how to quickly clean them to restore reliable performance. With cap 'n ball revolvers you don't win matches at the loading table but you can quickly lose a match there. Championship-level Frontiersmen know how to keep their revolvers running. There are lots of maintenance steps for these revolvers. Just post and the Soot Lords will provide their wisdom. I shoot ROAs and they will run six stages so long as I keep the nipples clean. The 1858 Remingtons I use for Plainsman are less forgiving.

I found that the Ted Cash inline cappers that have two lips to hold the cap in place work pretty well on the Remington's, Snail cappers and inline cappers with just one lip don't work at all.

Good Luck

Willy B'

I found that the Ted Cash inline cappers that have two lips to hold the cap in place work pretty well on the Remington's, Snail cappers and inline cappers with just one lip don't work at all.

Good Luck

Willy B'

Is that a luck of the draw kind of thing? the two lips versus one? Or is it something you can specify when ordering. My concern isn't the ability to modify the 1858, my thing is if I actaully want to. I tend to like the look of originality, however I don't really want it to slow me down.

The good folks at the 1858 Remingtom forum put me on to a simple and inexpensive fix that doesn't involve any modification to the gun - and doesn't involve searching for a specific straight line capper. Go to the pet department of your choice, and buy a roll of the clear aquarium tubing- I got 8 feet for 2 dollars. Cut it into short pieces (say, an inch and a half to two inches long) and push a cap into each end (it doesn't matter what size or brand of caps you're using). Repeat this process until you have enough "cap tubes" to get you through a match - I have 40 in a small box I keep in my possibles bag. That's 80 caps. I have plenty of tubing left over to make up more if I so desire, and more room in the box as well.

Since the tubes are flexible, you can easily slip the cap onto the nipple, an easy twist removes the (reusable) tube, and you seat it with the implement of your choice. It's quick and easy - 5 tubes caps a pair of revolvers for a standard stage, and you can carry a few "loose" in your vest pocket if you need to recap on the clock for any reason. If you're one of those folks that pinches your caps a tiny bit to help them stay on, you can do that in the tube.

If you want something a bit more "period correct" than an Altoids tin (the suggested container from the people giving the hint) ... well, I use a little plastic box that was made to look like tortoise shell, and this winter I'm thinking of doing a special label for an Altoids tin to make it look like one of the old paper cartridge boxes.

Sunday morning was the second day of the last shoot of the season for the local club. It was cold and damp, and my hands were cramping before I started, but, I was able to cap quickly using the tubing pieces.

Archived