SASS Wire Forum

Precision Felling

Subdeacon Joe

When I was kid many, many years ago we had two trees in our back yard that needed to be removed. Dad and some coworkers got together to do the job. First tree had a fork in it ,Dad looks it over goes and puts a stick in ground announcing the fork will fall with the stick between it. Dang it if it didn't do just that.

Second tree, full of enthusiasm because of their felling expertise they cut that tree down......................................................Took out the neighbors power! OOOOOPPPPPS!

Dayum. Nice work.

My method for felling trees is the same as for training cats - figure out what they want to do, and then tell them to do it.

Many years ago I worked one summer for a lumber company in Washington, the same one my Dad had worked for when he was a kid.

We also had a couple of old boy that I think could have matched that and an explosives guy who bragged he could blow up every pew in a church and not crack a window nor blow out any of the candles in the room. No one ever took him up on iy that I know of. No churched to spare I reckon.

Take a look at some of the trees they harvested back at the turn of the 20th century in Bellingham.

My wife's Grandfather, from Michigan, came out with his brother and they worked the trees.

He went back to Michigan and his brother stayed. Those loggers were were pretty bad a$$

boys.

On a more recent note, over in the town of McCleary Washington, they, the loggers, had at one time, a big party.

I forget what the occasion was all about, but they had bear stew and beer. The bear stew was ok, but the beer was the bigger ingredient in the mix. They invited several motorcycle clubs, or at least they showed up. After a SUMPTUOUS meal of bear stew, and COPIOUS amounts of beer, the party got on in ernest, and broke down into a fist fight between the two factions. Rumor has it that the Loggers were apparently better at handling their bear stew than the bikers were.

Show offs-they dragged the tree away with their tractor rather than moving the shed that was sitting on cinder blocks with their tractor first.

Nice work. I've dropped trees that fell exactly where planned. I've also watched them turn 90 degrees off and fall where they wanted to. I dropped enough to know that the minute you think you can predict something with certainty, that something is going to f you up.

We hired Scott to fall several trees at our cabin in Packwood last summer....he did an awesome job. It was great fun to watch him do this in person.

Archived