SASS Wire Forum

Broken Rossi 92 HELP

shotguntom

I have an older rossi 92 short rifle imported by Navy Arms. Today, at the range, the rifle just locked open when trying to chamber a round. It was the last round of a ten round string. IThe lever is stuck in the open position. Wont move forward more than a half inch. I If I try it is a solid metal on metal bind.

Can anyone recommend a quality person to send it to, as I cant even disassemble it to attempt to find the problem.

Oh, I would really like to not have to wait 10 months to get it repaired if possible. So no Nate Kiowa Jones please. LOL

Thanks,

TJ

TJ,

I believe what happened the pin that connects the lever to the bolt has slipped out partially and is hung in the locking lug track.

After clearing the last round from the rifle roll it to the side, loading gate down. Do not set it on a table but hold it in this position and give it a few sharp raps with the heel of your fist. If you are lucky this will reseat the pin to the point you can close the gun. If this does not work and you are feeling confident in your mechanical abilities there is one screw and one pin at the bottom of the locking lugs. Remove these and the lugs will come out the bottom of the receiver. Using a slim screw driver you should be able to reseat the lever pin. Once the pin is in place replace the locking lugs and close the action.

To prevent this from happening again remove the upper screw from the receiver an the side opposite the loading gate, this should also be the forward most screw on this side of the gun. Remove the lever pin and put a small drop of blue Loc-tite on the splines and replace the pin and screw.

Hope my description is at least some what close to Marauder's link. :(

Hope this helps,

Smoke

TJ,

I believe what happened the pin that connects the lever to the bolt has slipped out partially and is hung in the locking lug track.

After clearing the last round from the rifle roll it to the side, loading gate down. Do not set it on a table but hold it in this position and give it a few sharp raps with the heel of your fist. If you are lucky this will reseat the pin to the point you can close the gun. If this does not work and you are feeling confident in your mechanical abilities there is one screw and one pin at the bottom of the locking lugs. Remove these and the lugs will come out the bottom of the receiver. Using a slim screw driver you should be able to reseat the lever pin. Once the pin is in place replace the locking lugs and close the action.

To prevent this from happening again remove the upper screw from the receiver an the side opposite the loading gate, this should also be the forward most screw on this side of the gun. Remove the lever pin and put a small drop of blue Loc-tite on the splines and replace the pin and screw.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

I am definitely confident enough o do this. Im gonna sleep soundly tonight, and tackle it first thing tomorrow morning. Will post the results. Good or bad. Thanks for the directions/instructions. Hoping that's the fix.

Regards,

Tom

Smoke,

I couldn't wait until tomorrow. So, Problem solved. I had to use a thin blade screwdriver, but that was exactly the problem.

THANK YOU!!!!

Tom

TJ,

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Great info here also.

This also confirms that JMB musta love'd puzzles :lol:

THX,

LG

Thanks for the kind words.

I have gotten a lot of good info over the years and I am just passing it on.

Regarding JMB and puzzles, I agree. I like to describe the difference between the 92 and the 73 like this: With a 92 you take one screw out and you can remove one maybe two parts, unfortunately there are a bunch of screws in there. With a 73 you remove the one side plate screw and the opposite side plate falls off and half the internal parts spill out onto the bench. :blink:

Tom, glad the gun is up and running.

Smoke

With a 73 you remove the one side plate screw and the opposite side plate falls off and half the internal parts spill out onto the bench.

Smoke - that's the best explanation why I have never bought a Winchester 73! :D

Smoke,

Thanks to you I spent the day at the reloading press. Loaded 500 rounds, and am itching to head to the range tomorrow.

Really appreciate the good folks on this forum.

Archived