SASS Wire Forum

Back from Antigua, day late thanks to #$#% Miami International

Well, it took a bit of doing coming back, but made it in about 1900 last night. Missed our connection in Miami (aka AFH, Airport From Hell) since we sat for 30 min on the runway waiting for our gate to clear, then took 1 1/2 hrs to clear customs. 12 agents processing 12,000 incoming passengers. :angry: Cleared customs just about the time our flight took off even though we had a 2 hr layover, had to spend the night in Miami and catch the THIRD flight to D-FW yesterday, which by the way was 57 min. late taking off as well. Other poor cusses probably missed connections thanks to that. Oh yeah, after we missed our flight spent an hour in line at the AA counter along with all the other poor devils that missed flights. Moral of the story, avoid Miami International (aka Airport From Hell) at all costs! Esp. if you're on an incoming international flight. They need to bomb that miserable place like Baghdad and start all over. Went thru there 5 years ago returning from Antigua, was a nightmare then and even worse this time! Sure good to be back in Texas, even if it is brown and dead and 24 this morning. :(

Bottles, drinks on my tab the rest of the day. Back to w*rk tomorrow. :unsure:

Sus amigo,

JHC

First off Capt......you ain't gonna get no sympathy from me.....you just came back from Antigua for goodness sakes. I've seen it on a map one time but have never been there.

International flights are a pain and Miami is the centroid (H-roid) of that pain from all I've heard. I've flown to Lima, Peru 4 times and on each trip I made sure I did a non-stop from Atlanta to Lima rather than take the more economical 1-stop flights that changed planes in Miami. The unexpected overnight stay would definitely be a downer but hey, at least you can say you spent the night in Florida :D :D

I agree 100%. This airport sucks!

I have been stationed at the control tower in MIAMI since 1983. BUT, I refuse to fly in or out of MIAMI if I can avoid it. I use FLL airport.

Dawg, would you happen to know a Harvey S. McClain.....goes by his middle name which is Stan?

He is retired from the FAA. He was a controller for a good while and then moved up the corporate ladder and was a location manager at other places. He spent a lot of time in DC, Miami, Salt Lake City and then in Douglasville at that center.

You're right Kajun. It was a wonderful trip up to the point where we landed in AFH. Sadly, you have little choice flying into the Caribbean. The only other choice the travel agent found was Charlotte mebbe, and it was $1200 higher! Might have been worth it. Next time I'll try Houston. It's 8 hours away, D-FW is 3. I think I'd rather drive 10 hours more than go thru AFH again. Went thru there 5 years ago when we went the first time. It was a trainwreck then and even worse now. If they had about 50 more customs lines it might not be so bad! Couple that with all the flights the airlines have cut out and you can hardly find a direct flight to ANYWHERE. We used to fly to Vegas from Lubbock to the SASS convention every year, and there were several direct flights. Now there's ONE. The others all connect thru Denver, Albuquerque, or even Houston, which is really stupid since it's dang near as far as Vegas, not to mention 180 degrees in the other direction!

JHC

Well...where are the Antigua pics??????? :D

LL

I'm not a very good 'puter geek, don't know how to post pics here. I'm going to set up a Flickr or Photobucket account or some such. I've posted some on my Facebook page if you're on FB. I'm under Wayne Davis or James Callahan. Will post something here when I figure it out.

Archived