SASS Wire Forum

Getting the green off AA shotgun shell brass?

Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L

Some of my AA shells develop a tarnish/green coating when they have sat in the garage for awhile. I could store them inside but I don't want to be killed in my sleep

I tried a vinegar and salt bath where they sit in it for 15 min or so and that does some good but not perfect

Is there a better way?

I could live with it but my shooting partner hates putting them in his shotgun.

cr

Yep, for that brass corrosion, I use a mild acidic grout cleaner.

Sulfamic acid crystals. About a tablespoon in a quart of hot water, and you can also toss in a little vinegar, to speed it up.

Here's one place to find it:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-TileLab-Sulfamic-Acid-Cleaner-1-Gal-TLSAC1/100171510#

Only takes about a five minute dunk in the solution. Then scrub the brass part under running water with a green nylon scrubbing pad to remove the really tough parts of the stains.

Don't leave the brass in longer than necessary - it will start to eat away the uncorroded brass after a while. Rinse well with water.

Have been using this on my BP brass that gets some corrosion, or on "brown" range pick up brass that has been on the range for months. It will recover almost all that brass if you will work with it a little.

Good luck, GJ

Just gave this method a try and it's a winner.

By the time I fill the container with shotgun shells the first ones are ready to take out. Give them a quick pass with the scrubbing pad and a rinse and on to the drying rack.

Sit them out in the sun and wind to dry. Only can do about 50 at a time but that's plenty and it gives me something to do when the wife wants to see less of me around the house.

cr

I run all my brass thru that solution, rinse it off and directly into the vibratory tumbler.

I use my bench mounted wire wheel.

First I inspect all the hulls. Those hulls that have corroded, or nasty bases I "polish" using an ordinary wire wheel in my workbench mounted grinder/buffer. Then re-inspect. ANY flaws are tossed -- not worth taking a chance of a base separation!! Then blow out with air and lube with hornady "one shot" lube on a paper towel. Roll them around on the paper towel with you hands and your ready to go. Clean, dry and lightly lubed.

Conejo

I've used the wire wheel and it works well.

just trying to find something that goes a bit quicker--I'm lazy.

Just tried putting them in the dry media tumbler for a couple of hours. Not long enough but even at 2 hours the plastic sides were getting a bit dinged up.

cr

Archived