SASS Wire Forum

Windy Colorado....

Looks like y'all are gettin' a new wind farm! ^_^

New 37,000 acre Wind Farm

Drove through California's Altamont Pass last weekend. What a mess... dead windmills all over the place! :(

Cash strapped rural Colorado counties are subject to the Siren's song of increased taxes and jobs, whether it be the oil/gas industry or the wind and solar farms. Tgings are changing and not for the better as far as quality of life. :(

Whew! There for minute I thought UB had gas :huh::lol:

Those wind farms don't produce enough to be relevant in this area, besides, didn't I see something about wild life people knocking them because they were killing eagles? :blush:

Most windfarms are attracted to the Front Range where then wind howls down out of the Rockies. Cheap property and not much population.

The Altamont Pass wind farm I mentioned above has had it's share of controversies over the years...

I'd always enjoyed the sight as I'd drive through the pass - very futuristic looking, and evidently a going concern. But when the machines began to fall into disrepair they became unsightly - hundreds of the things non-functional; frozen as their neighbors would spin freely. Some shedding parts, ranging from blades to cowls. Not at all uncommon to see a geared shaft with a prop on it exposed to the elements.

And then there were the "environmental" issues. The modern gripe is that they eat birds.... especially raptors. Some claim three or four every day.

And then there's the "noise" complaint. I remember thirty years ago people complaining about the "horrible sounds..." not that there are any houses nearby.

The one that really stuck in my mind was the claim that the resonances would give cows headaches!! :lol:

Now, how does one know when his cow has a headache...? :rolleyes:

We don't have any of those big wind turbines around here. How noisy are they?

Here ya go.... :rolleyes:

Looks like y'all are gettin' a new wind farm! ^_^

New 37,000 acre Wind Farm

Drove through California's Altamont Pass last weekend. What a mess... dead windmills all over the place! :(

Same BS/crap here.

More broken, than work'n......

LG

The Altamont Pass wind farm I mentioned above has had it's share of controversies over the years...

I'd always enjoyed the sight as I'd drive through the pass - very futuristic looking, and evidently a going concern. But when the machines began to fall into disrepair they became unsightly - hundreds of the things non-functional; frozen as their neighbors would spin freely. Some shedding parts, ranging from blades to cowls. Not at all uncommon to see a geared shaft with a prop on it exposed to the elements.

And then there were the "environmental" issues. The modern gripe is that they eat birds.... especially raptors. Some claim three or four every day.

And then there's the "noise" complaint. I remember thirty years ago people complaining about the "horrible sounds..." not that there are any houses nearby.

The one that really stuck in my mind was the claim that the resonances would give cows headaches!! :lol:

Now, how does one know when his cow has a headache...? :rolleyes:

Their moood changes. ;)

Archived