SASS Wire Forum

SxS Shotgun question- SKB vs Browning -Miroku

Bulls Head Bill SASS#33692

You probably won't like my answer. They are both about the top SXS shotguns in our game , and both have hard-core fans." Which is best" is a very subjective thing. And while I am not a gunsmith , one is probably as easy (or difficult) to work on as the other.

Main difference is SKBs have an inertia reset trigger , and Brownings are mechanical. And Brownings run a little heavier as a general rule.

Good luck , Rex :D

Here's a source with some good info: http://www.chuckhawks.com/affordable_doubles.htm

It's my understanding that Miroku did manufacture the BSS, as well as a number of other quality guns marketed here by Browning and Winchester. SKB is a separate Japanese company.

I have kept my eyes open for a while and I have seen a few more SKBs than Brownings for sale. Not sure whether more were made/imported or whether it's luck of the draw.

I am only aware of one model of BSS; it has a ejectors and a beavertail forend. There are a couple of models of SKB out there. The Model 100 has extractors and a splinter forend; maybe not ideal for shooting black powder. The Model 200 has ejectors and a wider beavertail forend. Some of those are all blued and some have a contrasting finish on the receiver. I heard tell recently of a Model 150 with a beavertail forend.

The SKB has an inertial reset; the BSS is mechanical. Some cowboy shooters have the SKB converted to mechanical which is an extra expense. My SKB would not reliably reset with my cowboy shells so I had it converted. Depending on which model SKB you find, you may or may not have ejectors to disable. As someone else said, the SKB is lighter.

I don't know whether one is easier to work on than the other.

The very early SKB doubles were made by Miroku. These have mechanical double triggers. Miroku then built the Daly 500 with mechanical triggers and ejectors that were an internal clone of the SKB's. They then started the Browning BSS line. They currently make Browning shotguns, Winchester's and lord only knows what else. I have a Daly 500 that's built like a tank.

I shoot a Browning BSS and i really enjoy it. I have Amigos who have the SKB 100, and I have shoot them for comparison. I believe the SKB is a little faster handling gun than the Browning. You can not go wrong with either! :)

But the Browning doesn't have the selective trigger does it?

Is that any liability?.....I wouldn't think so.

No need for a selective trigger in this game. My SKB's have had mechanical triggers installed. The barrel selectors no longer function....haven't missed it yet:)

BSS or SKB....the decisions we struggle with:)

Ringer

Archived