SASS Wire Forum

original SAA trouble

Trigger Mike

I have a 1898 Colt SAA 44.40. I bought it long ago but finally decided to try it out. It would not always fire the first time around. After the second strike on the primer it would fire, though one round never fired even though the primer is dented. I used Great Basin and GOEX Black Dawg ammo. Is the hammer spring too light? Is it something else?

Without having the gun to inspect, dunno. However, there are things to look at. Check the headspace .006 +/- .001, check the firing pin, should protrude 50 to 60 thou thru the recoil shield. Check the main spring. Often in years past, folks would stick a piece of leather between the spring and frame to get a lighter hammer pull. Usually just caused the frame and spring to rust.

You can hit the primer soft enough to bend or move the anvil in the primer without igniting the compound. Dud primer results.

You should also slug the bore and check the cylinder throats to insure the correct size bullets are used.

If all of the above are beyond your skills/tools, invest in a trip to a Gunsmith who understands the SAA.

Coffinmaker

TM

as to the line through your words , I suspect , you did not move your mouse fast enough and it clicked on the font bar above

my fingers are not wor*ing well today eather , spending more time back spacing than typing

On , the SAA , it is almost inpossable to diag. it , wothout it being inhand, everything is just a guess

Most of the common problems have been covered

CB

Archived