SASS Wire Forum

Single Action Pepperbox

Colorado Coffinmaker

I have the memory of a Gnat. Anyway, I seem to remember a Pepperbox, 6 barrel, built on a '51 Navy frame, with an extended Arbor and about a 3 1/2 or 4 inch cylinder. No actual barrel. Anyone else remember it??

Coffinmaker

Yep, it looked like a '51 without a barrel.

Here's a "THR" thread about it: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=673508&highlight=PEPPERBOX

emfpepperbox_zpsdaa2a739.jpg

--Dawg

I have the memory of a Gnat. Anyway, I seem to remember a Pepperbox, 6 barrel, built on a '51 Navy frame, with an extended Arbor and about a 3 1/2 or 4 inch cylinder. No actual barrel. Anyone else remember it??

Coffinmaker

I actually saw something like this on a Have Gun Will Travel episode maybe a week ago. Ken Curtis (Gunsmoke's Festus Hagen, character actor in most of John Ford's/John Wayne's movies, golden-voiced singer with the Tommy Dorsey orchestra and Sons of the Pioneers, etc.) was playing a Festus-type character and carried a weapon that looked like a .36 caliber revolving "pepper box," virtually exactly like this one with the exception that the grips closely resembled the grips on an old flintlock pistol. In that HGWT episode, there was a chain fire that knocked Ken down, but he took out two guys who were trying to shoot Paladin.

Pietta had several samples at the last SASS convention in Vegas. Heavy for several practical reasons, but neat.

Was intrigueing, but not sure if they pursued it to further production?

I have one, and later was able to buy the original barrel and cylinder to convert it back to a 51 navy. Biggest drawback was that the screw holding the barrels in was left handed, it tended to tighten as you fire the pistol.

Arkansas Harper 33169L

Yep, it looked like a '51 without a barrel.

Here's a "THR" thread about it: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=673508&highlight=PEPPERBOX

emfpepperbox_zpsdaa2a739.jpg

--Dawg

Dawg,

Just pull one of yours outta the safe & show him the real thing....LOL

Charlie

The '51 gripframe just looks wrong on these. However, if it had a "Thunderer" gripframe. I bet it'd look good.

EDIT; I just did a little playing around with a couple images I googled, and made one. It looks okay. I don't know how to post pics, but if anybody wants to see what I did and post it here, PM me.

Archived