SASS Wire Forum

Short Stroke Kits

Long Branch Louie

I have an 1866 rifle I want to go thru and make better. I've decided to do the work myself. I know that a 3rd generation kit is the same stroke as the Codymatic I now have. How much shorter is a 4th and 5th generation kit? How much does each one increase the efffort to work the lever? I'm planning on replacing the springs, lifter block and whole nine yards. Is one set of links any better than everybody else's? I'm not a fast shooter, but I want to put a good set of links in so the rifle will work better and still be very reliable. Thanks for any help...

The minimum stroke length and how it is measured from are set forth in the rules. The 4th and 5th Gen (I am assuming you mean C&I) and the super short Pioneer are both made to give the minimum stroke. Go to the rules and measure your existing gun, then you will know how much shorter the new kits will be. There are basically only two kits on the market, C&I and Pioneer. Ron Snover also makes them, but you don't see many of them around. All are very good quality. How much they increase levering effort is pretty subjective. With a stock mainspring the answer is a LOT. With an action job and tuned springs, not so much. On a good install you can just put a finger in the lever and it will flip back and forth with very little effort.

I got my super short stroke from Pioneer, I lever the gun using my finders only, it is very smooth and easy. It is a major improvement.

Frenchy

I've gotta' regular short stroke from Pioneer in my '66 yellowboy..

It did have a C&I 1st. generation..

that picked up about 3/4"

My '73 has a Super Short Stroke from Pioneer..

It's about 3/4" shorter than Pioneers regular short stroke that's in my yellowboy..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' that's what it shows on my guns.. :blush:

Never tried the Super SS with 1 finger but it works with 2 :blush: fer sure..

I just had to rebuild a '73 and used Pioneer Gun Works parts; super short stroke kit, aluminum carrier, action springs, and firing pin extension. This set-up does not feel like it takes any more lever force than the kit that was installed 10 years ago. I am not a gunsmith...if I can do the fitting, anyone can. I am a happy customer.

Some of what you ask is a bit subjective. Some can be measured. Well, with the right pull gauges you can measure it all, but the important part is how it feels to you.

As Pettifogger says, the C & I 5th generation and Pioneer Super Short kits meet the SASS throw requirements. It use to be, for large bore guns, stick with 3rd Gen for max smooth and good lever effort. Not so true anymore. Latest kits work well regardless of caliber.

The ONLY time you will notice a difference in lever effort is standing around running the rifle slowly. After the buzzer goes, you won't notice a thing.

Pick a kit maker, order up your parts and go for it. Putting the parts in is only about a quarter of the job. If its a new gun, you have a lot of rubbin and buffin to do. Also, change out the lever side springs, the Mainspring and the firing pin return spring.

Coffinmaker

Thanks for your input folks. I figure if I do tool and die work for a living, I can slick it up myself with the basically drop in parts. Kinda want the satisfaction of doing it myself....

Archived