SASS Wire Forum

WAAAAY out in left field!

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I need a custom water slide decal 1/8" x 1/2" in brushed gold for a Christmas tree ornament repair. This is for my daughter and son-in-law.

I have the font and design, but can't find anything reasonable priced that has the metallic look.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I'll be sure to tell Santa how good you were.

Forty, have ya tried a local sign maker? Especially one of those that makes vinyl signs and lettering.

Thinking if they can't do it, they may point ya in the right direction.

I have several sheets of decal paper for my printer. The problem is I don't have gold ink...and no one seems to make it. I've tried a dozen model and hobby shops without any success, but I know I've seen metallic gold decals somewhere long ago.

I have a couple of months yet. Guess I'll keep on looking.

just a suggestion that has worked for me in repairs---cut your own stencil for the shape needed and use gold spray paint

circular file :o or frame it as is ;)

gold leaf, good idea...does it cost anything? probly not acceptable :huh:

this is just an invitation to a gunfight! :lol: you'll figure it out 40

I need a custom water slide decal 1/8" x 1/2" in brushed gold for a Christmas tree ornament repair. This is for my daughter and son-in-law.

I have the font and design, but can't find anything reasonable priced that has the metallic look.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I'll be sure to tell Santa how good you were.

FR,

I have a few suggestions for you.

=== Have you ever seen those "gold leaf" pens? You know, those pens some artists or celebs use to sign photos or posters or something like that? They leave a fairly wide, gold leaf look to the signature? Yeah, those. Anyway, they sell those at hobby stores or an office supply store ("course, there, you might have to buy several to get what you want). THE ONLY PROBLEM with that that I can see is that you don't know what the carrier fluid for the pigment in the pen will do to whatever you're applying it to, so you'd have to test first.

=== Go to a shop that specializes in model cars, airplanes and stuff like that. Around here, some time ago, there was a place called "big boys toys" or something. They sell specialty decal sheets and if you can find the color you need, you could trim it.

=== Also at the hobby shop is those little bottles of model paint. Testors was the brand name I recall. If you're in California, try Michaels. But, again, you'd have to be careful about the carrier in the paint damaging your item. There should be 1/2 dozen variations of gold, bronze, brass, etc.

=== I'm for trying the gold leaf first. You can buy inexpensive little sheets of faux gold leaf in several different shades. You rub them in with an appropriately sized, slightly stiff artists brush. Go look at the brushes; they'll have 100 different ones. You'll know the one you need after you read the directions and feel the brushes. Get help at the store from someone that knows. There should be a clerk that can assist.

=== Try eBay as a last resort. This is something I'd have to see first-hand to do a job such as you are describing.

Okay, here's what I'm looking at:

1/4" deep straight sided "wel"l, 5/16" high at the center of the curved bottom x 1 3/8" straight across the top. This is surrounded by gold colored metal on the bottom and white painted metal across the top and has a hard "jeweled" red transparent plastic base.

The closest font and size to match the rest is Edwardian Script Bold, size 12. The lettering has to be 1/16" high x 7/16" wide MAXIMUM.

I can fit water slide decals in there and might be able to used dry transfers, but nothing else seems practical, or even possible.

So far model and hobby shops haven't even known what I'm talking about and no company seems to carry anything close with the exception of a company called Woodland Scenics who have dry transfers that MIGHT work. I can't find the sizes offered and they haven't responded to my emails and don't answer their phone.

I can make what I need if I can find the gold metallic ink or metallic decals in the right size and font.

The ornament only cost $3.99, but I'd like to do it right for the kids for Christmas.

Thanks, Dave.

Found what I'm looking for. (I hope. Size is close, script is not quite the same but workable, color is an unknown factor: called "gold". We'll see what comes.) A Woodland Scenics dry transfer set at a place called HobbyLinc.

Came to about $15.00 shipped and has enough numbers and letters to allow a couple of mistakes.

Archived