SASS Wire Forum

Ultrasonic case cleaners vs vibratory case cleaners

Chantry

Are the ultrasonic case cleaners offered by Lyman & Hornady superior to the vibratory cleaners? Preference on a brand? And if I by a larger model how does it handle the cleaning of blackpowder and/or blackpowder subsitutes if I were to put the cylinders in the cleaner?

Get a Thumblers tumbler. They are used for polishing rocks, and use stainless steel pins. Go to stainlessteelmedia.com for a video. It takes a while to get a routine going, but it is well worth it. The brass comes out like new, inside and out. Got mine off of the internet, but had to exchange the motor from a 1250 rpm to 3000 rpm.

Are the ultrasonic case cleaners offered by Lyman & Hornady superior to the vibratory cleaners?

Short answer - NO

I shoot black powder and have tested cleaning with the vibratory using different media and also the ultra sonic.

Forget about both of these and buy a rotary. Charge with either plastic ceramic polishing media or pins - Strat-O-Sheen burnishing solution and a squirt of Dawn concentrate. Less than 2 hours later your cases will be spotlessly clean - inside and outside. Deprime the cases first

IMGP1024.jpg

I have the Hornady model and like it to an extent. If you want the insides looking bright, it does a good job. I prefer my vibratory cleaner for most. where the ultrasonic really shines is for gun parts. Just don't DON"T use the brass cleaning solution on blued parts. I have a vaquero cylinder as clean as it can get -and WHITE! Looks kinda cool on the gun though.

Short answer - NO

I shoot black powder and have tested cleaning with the vibratory using different media and also the ultra sonic.

Forget about both of these and buy a rotary. Charge with either plastic ceramic polishing media or pins - Strat-O-Sheen burnishing solution and a squirt of Dawn concentrate. Less than 2 hours later your cases will be spotlessly clean - inside and outside. Deprime the cases first

Nice!

Archived