SASS Wire Forum

Shooting at my building!

Cash Duckett

I get a call this morning from a tenent who leases a building from me and operates a restaurant there.(Bentonville, AR) Looks like a guy had 4 beers and couldn't handle them. Bartender calls him a cab. Cab driver takes him home, and calls bar to tell them that the drunk said he was coming back to get even. At 2.30 or so drunk shows up and throws 2 "moltov cocktails" through windows but they didn't ignite. Drunk then shoots 5 shots with 12g shotgun through 3 windows and front door. Police actually see the last two muzzle flashes. Charges are "commission of a terroristic act, aggravated assult, criminal mischief, fleeing, and DWI". No bond set yet.

It's goona take a few thousand to repair building, a few thousand more for damage inside. Insurance company on the way. At least no one got hurt. I wonder if this guy gets rough treatment in the wake of Boston? Earlier drunk told some people he was in the middle of a divorce and bancrupcy. Said he had nothing to loose. We'll see.

Cash

"Commission of a terrorist act?"

There's a world of difference between being a drunk, dumbsh1+ and a terrorist.

I am not saying that what is guy did isn't serious, because it certainly is. However, I'm not sure which is worse, the person who commits really stupid acts like this or the government agencies who elevate local, foolish behavior to some international criminal level.

To me, it represents an out-of-control government, bent on beating citizens into a frightened herd of unresisting sheep. There's a terrorist behind every bush.

Okay, besides all that, was this incident at 2:30 PM or 2:30 AM? Were there many people inside the restaurant? Did he forget to light the firebombs? Is the building right down the street from the police station.....how'd the police happen to see the shotgun muzzel flashes? Pretty bizarre stuff. Sounds like the four beers he had at the restaurant were on top of a whole lot more of something else, to cause crazy behavior like that. Pretty fortunate that no one was injured or killed.

Oh, by the way, better check your insurance policy regarding exceptions for "terrorist acts."

Cat Brules

I am not saying that what is guy did isn't serious, because it certainly is. However, I'm not sure which is worse, the person who commits really stupid acts like this or the government agencies who elevate local, foolish behavior to some international criminal level.

To me, it represents an out-of-control government, bent on beating citizens into a frightened herd of unresisting sheep. There's a terrorist behind every bush.

Okay, besides all that, was this incident at 2:30 PM or 2:30 AM? Were there many people inside the restaurant? Did he forget to light the firebombs? Is the building right down the street from the police station.....how'd the police happen to see the shotgun muzzel flashes? Pretty bizarre stuff. Sounds like the four beers he had at the restaurant were on top of a whole lot more of something else, to cause crazy behavior like that. Pretty fortunate that no one was injured or killed.

Oh, by the way, better check your insurance policy regarding exceptions for "terrorist acts."

Cat Brules

"Terrorist act" language has been on the books for quite awhile and in many states it predates our modern jihadist types. It doesn't necessarily mean what the layman thinks it means.

Under Federal law it can have a different meaning. I assume he is charged under state law in this case.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Bartender calls him a cab.

Cash

That's what did it... that Bartender shouldn't have called him a cab. "Dumbass" maybe... "idiot" probly... but never "cab".

ts

UB, I think the molitov cocktails qualify as a bomb & might up the charges to federal level.

Telling the cabby that he's going to go back & get even qualifies as a terroristic threat since he followed through on his threat.

That's what did it... that Bartender shouldn't have called him a cab. "Dumbass" maybe... "idiot" probly... but never "cab".

ts

:lol::lol:

Still, though, regardless of the terrorism thing, this is pretty darn weird behavior!

I am not saying that what is guy did isn't serious, because it certainly is. However, I'm not sure which is worse, the person who commits really stupid acts like this or the government agencies who elevate local, foolish behavior

To me, it represents an out-of-control government, bent on beating citizens into a frightened herd of unresisting sheep. There's a terrorist behind every

Cat Brules

I know we need revamping in our system and tvat we have some major issues with overpowering goverment but pleae take off the tin foil hat, not everything is about goverment control. The over paranoia here on the wire that every cop and or government action/comment etc is out to get you Is ridiculous and insulting to we who do the job! I am so sick of all of the recent cop bashing posts on the wire anymore I'm about ready to quit even coming to it. The moderators need to immediately shut these posts down because I'm sure I'm not the only one. The laws about terrorism have been on the books well before 9-11 and if you read the dictionary and stop listening to all of the radicle news media you may not need that hat. We're not all out to kick in your door and get you!! BOOOO!! GMAFB!!

Terrorist

1) a person, usually a member of a group, who uses or advocates terrorism.

2) a person who terrorizes or frightens others.

3)

Terrorism

1) the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce.

2) the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.

JEL

UB, I think the molitov cocktails qualify as a bomb & might up the charges to federal level.

Telling the cabby that he's going to go back & get even qualifies as a terroristic threat since he followed through on his threat.

Possibly could be charged federally, depending on how busy or energetic the AUSA is in that neck of the woods. But most cases I've seen like this were handles in state court unkless there are some other circumstances like links to a hate group or a political agenda. You never know.

The over paranoia here on the wire that every cop and or government action/comment etc is out to get you Is ridiculous and insulting to we who do the job! I am so sick of all of the recent cop bashing posts on the wire anymore I'm about ready to quit even coming to it. The moderators need to immediately shut these posts down because I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm not a cop, but I've always been both disgusted by the anti-cop statements, and somewhat mystified that the people who make them also generally profess to be "patriots." I don't think that word means what they think it means. As for the cops, I appreciate the really sucky things they have to sometimes do and they way they put themselves out there for the rest of us. Yes, there are crooked and obnoxious iceholes wearing badges but that can be said about any group, including this one. In my opinion, enough police are decent and honorable enough, and proud enough of what they stand for, that the bad ones don't need to be considered until actually encountered. For my part, cops are always going to unconditionally get the benefit of the doubt unless and until it is *proven* they shouldn't, and it's going to take more than "just sayin'" to change my mind.

CB "foolish behavior" ? Trying to burn down a bar and shooting a twelve gauge through the window. I wonder if you would call it that if that happend at your house. JEL, I dont think they should shut these threads down, because I like that you and others expose these police hating idiots. It blows my mind that they react to a story like that and think the charges were the problem and not the criminal. Im sick of this PROTECT THE CRIMINAL ATTITUDE. Thank you for your service and know that a lot of people feel that way.

JEL, I dont think they should shut these threads down, because I like that you and others expose these police hating idiots. It blows my mind that they react to a story like that and think the charges were the problem and not the criminal. Im sick of this PROTECT THE CRIMINAL ATTITUDE. Thank you for your service and know that a lot of people feel that way.

+1. Another reason not to shut down a thread or delete a post because of the content: The only way to protect free speech is to protect the speech you disagree with.

Looks like charges have been modified:

Aggravated assault Felony

Arson Felony

Criminal mischief Felony

Dichaging a firearm from car Felony

DWI 1 Misd.

Fleeing Misd

Tampering with physical evidence Felony

Terrorist act Felony

Bond-$250,000.00

Has not bonded out yet.

We are replacing front door and frame and replacing three windows, frames and all. A couple of tvs, some stereo equipment, etc.. inside along with a lot of glass being cleaned up. What a mess.

Cash

... The over paranoia here on the wire that every cop and or government action/comment etc is out to get you Is ridiculous and insulting to we who do the job! I am so sick of all of the recent cop bashing posts on the wire anymore I'm about ready to quit even coming to it. The moderators need to immediately shut these posts down because I'm sure I'm not the only one. The laws about terrorism have been on the books well before 9-11 and if you read the dictionary and stop listening to all of the radicle news media you may not need that hat. We're not all out to kick in your door and get you!! BOOOO!! GMAFB!!

Hi John,

I know that a large number of SASS members are LEOs or support them. I think there might be some fear of the Federal government that may have seemed like "cop bashing" to someone involved in law enforcement.

I am reading things from a different perspective now; but, we Moderators cannot see everything. If anyone out there feels a post is getting derogatory, inciting, or just plain mean spirited; please let the Moderators know by using the Report link to the right of the Quote buttons. We will take action according to the SASS Wire Guidelines.

We want to keep the Wire a place where folks can have friendly discussions, without insults. I would love to see the comment "the Wire is not SASS" changed to "the Wire is a good representation of SASS and is frequented by the type of people you will meet at a match."

Regards,

Allie Mo

+1. Another reason not to shut down a thread or delete a post because of the content: The only way to protect free speech is to protect the speech you disagree with.

Hello,

Please read the Guidelines. The Moderators use them in determining what action to take on a post. If you are not pleased with an action taken, please advise the SASS office of the Guideline change you would like to see made.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Allie,

I was just responding to the suggestion that offensive posts should be deleted. As long as it's the argument that's being attacked and not the speaker, and the language used isn't offensive, a post should be allowed to stand regardless of the author's opinions. I'm not aware of any heavy-handed censorship by the mods and, given my own views and the "discussions" I've had, I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if there were any. :ph34r: I'll be perfectly happy if the moderators just keep doing what they've been doing (and I would like to take this opportunity to thank Black Harris for staying his hand).

Archived