SASS Wire Forum

I just picked up my Ruger out of the safe and noticed that when the hammer is down, and the loading gate is closed, there is considerable cylinder play, and the cylinder will sometimes spin toward the loading gate if I apply a bit of pressure.

Can anyone tell me what the heck this is, and how to fix it? The revolver is ten years old, but doesn't get shot much anymore.

BJ

Sounds like you have a bolt sticking or possibly a broken bolt spring.

I had a similar problem, on a new OMV. The cylinder latch assembly(the edge sticking up thru the frame that stops the cylinder) had a very slight bevel. It looked like it was worn down. That edge needs to be perfectly square to eliminate cylinder play. I shot several matches with it, and then one pard inspected it, and pointed out the very slight worn edge. I bought a new assembly (Brownells or Midway, check their neat schematics), installed it, and no more cylinder play. There is also a slightly thicker assembly available, but the standard part fixed me up. Inspect your cylinder latch assembly real close for slight worn edges or it may even be square but worn down across the top edge.

RRR

Well I took her apart tonight and found that the problem was easy to identify. The pawl spring had gotten tied into a little knot--how that might have happened is anyone's guess--and promptly split into two pieces when I gave a little tug. Now I just need to replace it. Thanks for all of the replies, I really do appreciate them!

BJ

I only partially agree with Smokestack because I had a revolver with a bur in the pawl spring channel, the cylinder would lock up if the gun was pointed down, but if the gun was pointed up the pawl wouldn't catch the cylinder and it would do some weird things, spinning either way until the next notch was one of them.

Took awhile to figure that one out.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if a new spring solved your problem.

Doc

Archived