SASS Wire Forum

Norinco 97 Trench Gun Question

Major Forsyth

Just bought one of these. I've been to Marauder's site about slicking up a 97 but am wondering if it would be useful to purchase any after market springs/kits. If so, then from whom.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Major Forsyth

Since you purchased the Trench Gun, I assume you are planning on shooting Wild Bunch. This 6 round conversion spring kit is an excellent product and allows you to load six rounds in the mag for WBAS. :)

If you got one actually labeled Norinco, then that is probably a very old clone (before 2004?) and would best be examined and tuned by an expert on 97s (Squibber comes to mind).

If you got an IAC import and the serial number starts with an 09 or 10 as the first two, slightly separated digits, you have a very recent example and that will be pretty easy to tune. As Grizzly Adams mentioned, about all they need is smoothing and adjusting the mag to hold six shells. Perhaps lightening the mainspring a little, which is a screw adjustment. The mag conversion kit, with new spring and follower, works well. I do them just by trimming the mag spring in the gun already, and have excellent results. Trim spring to about 3 inches uncompressed length longer than the body of the mag tube. Keep mag tube clean and lightly lubed or waxed.

Good luck, GJ

Just bought one of these. I've been to Marauder's site about slicking up a 97 but am wondering if it would be useful to purchase any after market springs/kits. If so, then from whom.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Major Forsyth

Now fellers, just read the question and don't jump to conclusions. Where did he ask if he could use it in a match? He didn't ask about using it in a match, he didn't ask about using in a Wild Bunch match. He just asked about slicking it up and if it would be useful to get any after market items for it. For all we know, he may have a trench full of the Kaiser's troops he needs to clear out and wants to do it smooth and easy like.

Boothill

One other thing you might want to consider is a magazine band and screw from Numrich if you ever want to take off the heat shield to be able to use it in CAS.

Also, Cheaper than Dirt has replica 1917 Enfield bayonets w/scabbard for about $70. This would make your trench gun the perfect home defense tool. Charging down the steps with a trench gun w/bayonet should cause any burgler to decide to leave in a big hurry.

Archived