SASS Wire Forum

DHS ammo hoarding is denying ammo to Citizens

No doubt about it in my mind. The Federal Government is exercising "Ammo Control" by placing all these orders (which may tie up the ammo, but may not necessarily all be filled.)

It seems that this action could be deemed unconstitutional, but I see no discussion of a lawsuit to challenge this action.

Am I missing something, because I know I am not the only person that reads the Constitution and the Supreme Court decisions on the topic of the 2nd Amendment.

No doubt about it in my mind. The Federal Government is exercising "Ammo Control" by placing all these orders (which may tie up the ammo, but may not necessarily all be filled.)

It seems that this action could be deemed unconstitutional, but I see no discussion of a lawsuit to challenge this action.

Am I missing something, because I know I am not the only person that reads the Constitution and the Supreme Court decisions on the topic of the 2nd Amendment.

As I see it, it amounts to "back door" gun control. No ammo : Gun is worthless!! They win without a vote on the subject. I mean, c'mon folks, why does the SSN and IRS need mounds of ammo. Think the old geezers (me included here) are gonna rise up outta' our wheelchairs and attack the Social Security Weenies??? The IRS is already neutering the citizens by taking all the loose "change" outta our pockets so we can't buy ammo if it was available.

MHO

Al

J Mark -

I believe that you have missed the mark on this one pard. Yes the government has placed orders (as they have done for years)...and they are not being filled at the current time. The manufacturers are making and SHIPPING just as much (and more) ammo as they did last year and the years before. Some of my friends in retail tell me that they are recieveing as much as the have in the past, but it is selling out in 1 hour...instead of 1 month. Others have been looking for different "middle man" suppliers, due to proven stockpiling at the middleman level of the supply chain.

It is really easy to see the logic in this. All of the recent alphabet agency orders were for 9mm, .40 and.223. Yet it is difficult to find .22LR on the shelf. Why?

We continue to have internet rants that keep the internet driven panic in full bloom. I pray that everyone can take a deep breath, and relax off of this "issue". Save your energy for the real fights on the horizon.

J Mark -

I believe that you have missed the mark on this one pard. Yes the government has placed orders (as they have done for years)...and they are not being filled at the current time. The manufacturers are making and SHIPPING just as much (and more) ammo as they did last year and the years before. Some of my friends in retail tell me that they are recieveing as much as the have in the past, but it is selling out in 1 hour...instead of 1 month. Others have been looking for different "middle man" suppliers, due to proven stockpiling at the middleman level of the supply chain.

It is really easy to see the logic in this. All of the recent alphabet agency orders were for 9mm, .40 and.223. Yet it is difficult to find .22LR on the shelf. Why?

We continue to have internet rants that keep the internet driven panic in full bloom. I pray that everyone can take a deep breath, and relax off of this "issue". Save your energy for the real fights on the horizon.

Agreed, virtually ALL calibers are either hard to find or out of stock, not just law enforcement & military calibers.

I have no doubt that citizens are buying and stocking up on ammo, but DHS has on order a tremendous amount of ammunition on order. Perhaps as much as 7 years worth. While a suit might not be successful, if it was utilized properly it could shed light on the true number and the Government's reasoning for these mass orders.

I haven't missed the fact that our government is not our ally in maintaining our rights, nor will our rights sort themselves out without our diligent actions. Talking about our options and ideas, good or bad, right or wrong, moves us closer to finding ways to fight to protect our rights

One must remember tha the U.S. has at least 1000 bases around the world, fighting how many wars? Is supporting rebellions in how many countries? Doing the same in places we don't know about?

You got Ma & Pa Kettle, all the malitias, preppers,survivalists all hoarding ammo, I even saw a show on the "Discovery Channel" about the "Michigan Volunteer Anti-Zombie Malitia" gearing up. Makes one wonder why our government will support rebels in other countries, and try to supress the people here?

Is anyone gonna invade the U.S. to save us? Good lord I hope so!

Knarley

I have no doubt that citizens are buying and stocking up on ammo, but DHS has on order a tremendous amount of ammunition on order. Perhaps as much as 7 years worth.

Yep, this is the way these bid contracts have been written for decades. The contract stipulates the cost based on a MINIMUM number of rounds ordered, and projects the MAXIMUM number of rounds that can be ordered at that price over a period of time, usually 5 years. The funny part, is that few of us have read the entire bid contract to see what the minimun number of rounds to be ordered is. I will not provide the exact number, because I don't have idetic memory, but I will state that the minimum order was about 25% of the max.

I'm sorry but I remain unconvinced that the ammo shortage is caused by DHS purchases.

Nor do I see any evidence of a govt conspiracy to make ammo unavailable to citizens.

Utah Bob+1 I agree, a WHOLE lot of gunowners are buying anything and everything! Tried to get a mold for my 38 so I can cast my own. Sold out! You know it's bad when you can't even buy molds to cast your own! Mad Dog McGee

This evening I was in our local Academy store about 8 o'clock and the shelves were loaded with ammo. But there was no 22, 9mm, 38, 357, or 40, 223, & 5.56, 45acp, or 45 Colt. There was plenty of 44mag, 44spl, 222, 7.08, 243, mostly hunting calibers.

It appears that people are buying all the defensive ammo they can in the calibers Col Riddles mentions and 22lr, probably for practice.

Archived