SASS Wire Forum

After beautiful weather on Monday and Tuesday, a freak storm on Wednesday and beautiful weather on Thursday, Friday and Saturday who'd a thunk it? There was a tremendous wind storm late Saturday night. An entire section of vendor city came uprooted in the wind. The vendors and other volunteers were amazing. Guns, leather, clothes and all manner of goods were strewn all over the desert. Vendors got up at 2:00 am in a howling storm to help other vendors locate their goods or to gather and place in safe keeping the goods of those vendors that were camping off-site. After inspecting the main tent we were advised that it should be evacuated in case any of the main tent stakes or poles were loose. SO, we had to have the fastest awards "ceremony" in history -- less than 30 minutes!

Congrats to all the winners and they are posted on the WR website. For those that could not pick up their awards we will mail them to you. The match was great and the "after hours" activities (AKA storms) were certainly exciting! Next year Winter Range will take place a week later, February 24 through March 1. The main match was full with 792 (and a substantial waiting list), a full with 125 shooters Wild Bunch Match and 120 mounted shooters. Seven of the stages are already dismantled and everything will be gone from the range by tomorrow (Monday) at 5:00 pm. After a week of rest, planning for Winter Range 2014 will begin!!!!

P2241075_zpsdb166ddb.jpg
P2241069_zps9710994a.jpg

THANK YOU!!

That wind sure came up fast. Woke up after midnight in RV which was rocking all over, even with jacks in place. The canvas leaf catchers over the slideouts appeared about ready to rip off, so we had to run the slideouts in during the middle of the night. Saw neighbor's really heavy gun cart being pushed down the road via the wind. Only other time we had to pull in slideouts in middle of night was a few years ago in Alaska. Hope all the vendors that had products flying all over found it all. Great match. Hats off to the WR Board, Roughriders, the Az Rangers and all the other volunteers. Their hard work was very obvious everywhere. Job well done.

WR website says next year is March 3rd to March 9th LEP :D which is 2 weeks later.??

I know Legendary Guns had damaged guns, broken stocks, etc. I do not know what if any damage was sustained by Taylors or the other vendors. In the Cimarron tent we put the guns loose in layers on blankets in heavy steel boxes at night rather than just cable them on the tables. Those boxes are a pain to load into and out of trailers, but sure was good to have them at Winter Range. They did not budge one inch, and all the guns were unscathed.

A D Texaz go the call at 1:30 am about the tent and headed to the range. He told me to stay at the hotel until morning. Neither of us had any idea what it was really like until we saw it. Mama Mia!

I heard about how everyone was helping out in the wee hours. That is the cowboy way!

WR website says next year is March 3rd to March 9th LEP :D which is 2 weeks later.??

What they announced at the Awards was different than what is in the Thank You paper they handed out. I talked to Trusty Dog this morning and he said they do not have a definite date and will not for a couple days.

It was certainly one for the books and I have seen a couple of more. Those attending experienced the unusual Wednesday occurances, unfortunate sight Sunday morning (thankful for no serious injury to person and relative minor in vendor goods), as well as the super fast ceremony which gifted shooters for a possible early launch home only to be detained down the road by wind/dust and/or wind/snow. I offer my sincere appreciation to Larsen and all at Winter Range for presenting a truely awesome and memorable SASS National Championship of Cowboy Action Shooting. Hopefully I may be blessed to attend my 15th in 2014.

Archived