SASS Wire Forum

Holster needed

Seldom Seen #16162

OK. I have my first 1858 Remmie. He sure is a big boy with that 8” barrel. Hopefully he will have a brother in a few months.

Now I need a holster(s) for it. Those of you that are actually using your Remmies in SASS what type of holsters and what other styles of holsters do you and other competitors use? Has anyone tried a shorter holster with a open toe allowing part of the barrel to slip through?

OK. I have my first 1858 Remmie. He sure is a big boy with that 8 barrel. Hopefully he will have a brother in a few months.

Now I need a holster(s) for it. What are you fellow 1858 shooters packing your roscoe in? Something this big is asking for a lot of dead cowhide. Has anyone tried a shorter holster with a open toe allowing part of the barrel to slip through?

You probably already know all this but, historically accurate holsters for these c&b guns originally were usually of the "slim jim" variety; essentially a form-fitting sheath for the gun. See if you can get a look at a copy of Richard Rattenbury's book, Packing Iron. It is one of those large format, "coffee table" picture books of period (and reproduction) gunleather. Usually, the "open-toe design" with a portion of the barrel sticking through and visible was originally, not a "design" as such, but kind of a make-do holster. A guy needed a holster, found one that the pistol fit in and didn't care so much that it was a bit short and the barrel stuck through. Today, many of us think that looks stylish.

The best source for period work in my opinion is Richard Bachman out of Florence, Montana. His business name is Old West Reproductions. There are a couple photos of some of Bachman's work in the aforementioned book, Packing Iron, along with photos of original period-made original holsters pictured threin. In my mind, Bachman's museum-quality reproductions are the best, if you want to be period correct and you want supple, wearable gunleather that is authentic in virtually every way. Here is his web site: Old West Reproductions

Visit Bachman's web site if for no other reason, to get a good look at reproductions of original holsters ... that is, if you don't already know this stuff. There are other good leatherworkers too, but Bachman is my nod for the best. And, Packing Iron is a great place to start getting an understanding of the evolution of western gunleather. But, I suppose most of the above is common knowledge in SASS.

Cat Brules.

Oh no. You did not just say, "Roscoe". :D :D

There are a ton of makers and styles out there for the '58. Two whose work transcends the common and are truly works of art in leather are Purdy Gear http://www.purdygear.com/holsters.html and Chuck Burrows of Wild Rose Leather http://www.wrtcleather.com/ . Just looking at Chucks work gives one a feeling of having walked through a museum of finely preserved treasures from the past! It will be up to you to decide exactly what it is you want right now, before proceeding. There are any number of sources for a holster that can range from historical to downright sporty, but your discussion should first concern, what do you want to accomplish in SASS and truthfully, how much you are willing to pay to get there. Two early hints, the little spike sights on my Remingtons tend to run the risk of an occasional snag with shorty (cut-off) holsters and this can range from disconcerting to possibly causing an actual juggle under pressure. Usually the guns with eight inch barls tend to fit better with historical, rather than competitive players, even when playing Frontiersman!

Thanks for the suggestions about picture books such as Packing Iron. I already have Packing Iron and other picture books. I agree that there are a lot of neat styles with the Slim Jim the most common design. Part of the fun with new guns is choosing new leather.

As for the leather venders there is no way I am paying that kind of money…sorry I’m on a beer budget so they can tap someone with deep pockets.

Allow me to restate my question…those of you that are actually using your Remmies in SASS what type of holsters and what other styles of holsters do you and other competitors use?

Thanks for your input and observations.

If you are looking for an inexpensive and authentic holster take a loot at THIS ONE from River Junction Trade Co. Its a transitional model between the slim Jim and the Mexican loop, right in time period and size for your 58 (with fitting). Its also priced reasonably. I use one for a 1860 RM conversion.

As for your question about using a short holster and letting the barrel stick out...not a great idea with the Remington, which has a straight "post" front sight that couldn't be better designed to snag.

Thank you for the suggestion of Will Ghormley. I have a Slim Jim holster from him that fits a 1851 Navy perfectly.

Oh pards I am not looking for a leather maker as much I am looking for specific holster styles that work well. I have a local saddle maker, who incidentally has taken way to much of my money, that can copy most anything.

I got mine from the Wire's very own Trailrider. One was an Abilene I believe, and one was a Cavalry holster with the flap eliminated if memory serves me. Both are very similar to a "Slim Jim" holster. They weren't $30, but they fit like a glove and I never had a problem drawing or holstering. Somewhere in the past I did have photos of them posted here.

Anthracite Andy

Archived