SASS Wire Forum

how much land needed to shoot?

Trigger Mike

It helps to have a hundred foot canyon wall for a berm. ;)/>

That helps. Basically for a worst case scenario, flat land, no trees, which does not exist out here, around 30 acres back should allow room for an optimum flight of a 3006. All others fall short within that space. IN some parts of south GA you can get land for 1k an acre, certainly less than 2k an acre.

That depends on how the 30 acres are laid out.

I did some training at Blackwater in North Carolina. Any round launched from any of their ranges lands on their property (8600 acres).

The property's entrance is in a county that did not want a firing range. The ranges are in the next county.

:ph34r:/>/> :ph34r:/>/>

I don't think I can afford that much

One wrinkle you may have hanging over your head, depending on where & how much land you buy, is that at some point "somebody else" buys the plot next to you & builds their own little version of "a nice place away from it all".

If you only buy a little slice of land, someone else still owns the rest & it could be sold at any time, in most cases.

Your "range" could now be in line with their house, barn or they may not like part of their property being an "impact zone". Where you shoot for years is now forbidden as you new neighbor puts up a "dwelling within "X" of where you've been shooting.

You don't want to be like some people who buy a 1 acre parcel in the middle of no-where, then ride, shoot, hike etc all over someone else's property.

Good luck in your search.

There's a well to do feller in Dover Shores, Newport Beach, CA that bought three homes in a row and building a sound proofed gun range in a basement...that's cool.;)/>

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>

Archived