SASS Wire Forum

You can teach an old dog.

Always a good day when you learn something.

I learned that some of the M1 Garands had their receivers annealed because of a faulty temper?

According to my source, they dipped the receivers into molten lead to re-temper the metal.

I did not know that before. Fellow posted pictures and you can see the line on the receiver just under the

rear sight. A great big HUH! :blink:

So Badger... Where'd you come across this information...?

Was there a range of receivers improperly tempered and too soft or brittle... as with early '03's...? :huh:

Criminies! Where's my Garand... Where's my inspection lamp... Where's my magnifyin' glass... :mellow:

So Badger... Where'd you come across this information...?

Was there a range of receivers improperly tempered and too soft or brittle... as with early '03's...? :huh:

Criminies! Where's my Garand... Where's my inspection lamp... Where's my magnifyin' glass... :mellow:

Sent you an PM.

Quoted from the post:

Yes, and that was one thing that caused me to pause before buying it. The pictures make it look more obvious than it does in natural light. I didn't know quite enough about how to tell the difference between reweld and annealing so I hesitated. So, I took the rifle apart and looked at the tool marks and they were consistent all across the receiver and nothing funky under the heal or inside the raceways. No signs of welding and the rifle operated smoothly. My guess is that it was purchased from the old cmp a long time ago.

Lots of info on Garands out there.

Here is a little from the Garand Collectors Assoc: GCA Glossary.

Here is a discussion on the annealing: CMP Forum - Garand Annealing

One websire like the Wire that I use is: milsurps.com

I learned to shoot Military Style on a Grand but that is the extent of my knowledge of them.

However, I didn't think molten lead had a high enough temperature to cause any appreciable action or reaction in steel?

However, I didn't think molten lead had a high enough temperature to cause any appreciable action or reaction in steel?

Lead melts at 621 F but you can continue heating it to 3180 before it vaporizes. I would not but given the nearly infinite resources of the gov't :ph34r:

Well, apparently is does, Noz. Several places have noted that is what happened back in the early years of the war. Circa 1942, IIRC. It was not symptomatic of all of the Garands, but some that were produced in a certain lot or production run. I do not recall if this was a field expedience issue or if it was a recall incident. I would imagine that a recall would not have been good in 1942-1943. The temper process was adjusted and the problem went away.

There was some flack about it being caused by the operating rod hitting the end of the receiver, but that was disproved along with the idea that the shooting of rifle grenades caused the issue but it was noted that a special gas plug was required to do this. I do not recall that we were issued a special gas plug to shoot

gernades but that was over 50 years ago and my recall only goes to 0400 hours, today.

There is a lot about the issue on the web, but can you really believe all that you read on the web.

This guy that I learned from, had some pretty convincing pictures, however.

Lead melts at 621 F but you can continue heating it to 3180 before it vaporizes. I would not but given the nearly infinite resources of the gov't :ph34r:

I thought there was a point just under 1000 degrees at which it became unstable and did all sorts of funky stuff to the container and everyone around it.

Archived