SASS Wire Forum

Ruger vaquero performs very well

Chili Ron

Howdy,

I went to a cowboy match last sunday and after the main event folks were

invited to try their hand at shooting cowboy guns.

I bought some reloads and found my new to me ruger vaquero was hitting

right on every shot, no surprise.

So I thought I would look for more of a challenge and there it was,

they had set a 100 yard rifle bonus target out in the field.

So I loaded five and took careful aim a little over the target and missed high.

The next couple shots missed too, then the fourth shot I aimed right dead center

and bang DING. I was surprised to make a 100 plus pistol shot.

I was sure not going to leave it at that.

I fired a few more and DING again.

So give it a try, your little Ruger just might surprise you too.

And these were REAL reloads not mouse rounds.

Im not quite sure why but the vaquero was shooting pretty much to point of aim

at 100 plus yards. I though that was odd.

Best

CR

We have a match pistol long range every month. Sometimes I does good -then the rest of the time, welllll........ no. Much fun though!The range might vary some but 75 -100 yd. is what we do.

If this was a cowboy gun before you got it, the front sight probably has been filed off to raise the point of impact at short range. This will elevate the barrel. The bullet will cross your line of sight twice, once on the way up, and once on the way down. With stout loads, the point of impact on the way down could easily be the 100yd point. Think - line of sight = straight line: bullet trajectory = arc.

CR

My single six in 32 h&r shoots very well at distance. With factory loads ive heald on the top of the target out to 150 yrds and had consistent hits 200 yrds takes a little elevation. At that range its harder to hear the hit than making the shot. I just use fresh paint and count the marks

I shoot long range targets with my pistols regularly. I've found that shooting rifle targets with my revolvers helps improve my speed on pistol targets. It's hard to believe but even my snubby does well out to 100 yards even with cowboy loads. My wife's NAA mini-revolver requires some elevation adjustment but still does fairly well at distance.

I have one that will, and one that won't. ;)

I shoot long range targets with my pistols regularly. I've found that shooting rifle targets with my revolvers helps improve my speed on pistol targets. It's hard to believe but even my snubby does well out to 100 yards even with cowboy loads. My wife's NAA mini-revolver requires some elevation adjustment but still does fairly well at distance.

I regularly shoot a snub nose 38 sp Taurus to well past 100. Ranged at 193 yrds with factory 158 grain jackets. Shooting long range with pistols really isn't that tough ot just takes practice

Archived