SASS Wire Forum

Is it legal,

Slowhand Bob, 24229

I will be making a new shotgun belt soon and am thinking of trying something new, for me. I have seen a few shotgun belts over recent years that add a second strap of leather running along above the loops, much like the stop strap that runs below the loops. No doubt this has been done to kick the angle of the shells outward at the top, is this a legal design for us? Seems common enough that it has either been approved or is actually being ignored, what say the keepers of the rules? No need for me to go there if it hasn't been approved.

From the SHB, page 11

"• Shotgun ammo loops must conform to the shooters contour (i.e., not tilt out from the belt)."

This IMHO would preclude that practice. I realize that you are talking about one thin strip of leather. But what about the jasper that comes along and adds a 1/2 inch, or more, strip? As soon as you let the camels nose in the tent you are asking for trouble. But again, this is only my view. When I have questions like this I will always email PWB. If you get a favorable ruling I would put a copy in my gun cart for proof if ever called at a match on it.

These guys are right... they must conform to the body. You said that it seems common enough... well, it sure is not common around here. Shotgun shell retrieval has garnished an unbelievable amount of attention over the last 20 yrs. Everything from the Cigarette Change girl type, to groups of four, double row and on and on and on. I would NOT tell you that you can not build it.. or, even use it, but if it makes the shells stick out while YOU are wearing it, it would be viewed as illegal equipment, and I'm sure you know what the penalty is for that.

Snakebite

These guys are right... they must conform to the body. You said that it seems common enough... well, it sure is not common around here. Shotgun shell retrieval has garnished an unbelievable amount of attention over the last 20 yrs. Everything from the Cigarette Change girl type, to groups of four, double row and on and on and on. I would NOT tell you that you can not build it.. or, even use it, but if it makes the shells stick out while YOU are wearing it, it would be viewed as illegal equipment, and I'm sure you know what the penalty is for that.

Snakebite

Some shooters have a belly shape that forces the shells to stick out even tho the leather fits the contour of their body perfectly. I would hope the rule is based on the leather fitting the body contour and not the shells.

Some shooters have a belly shape that forces the shells to stick out even tho the leather fits the contour of their body perfectly. I would hope the rule is based on the leather fitting the body contour and not the shells.

You can read the rule as well as I can. The original post directed itself specifically to a design that was/is intended to tilt the shells out for easy retrieval. That is not is not allowed.

Snakebite

Some shooters have a belly shape that forces the shells to stick out even tho the leather fits the contour of their body perfectly.

I would hope the rule is based on the leather fitting the body contour and not the shells.

Refer to post #2.

Also SHB pp. 10-11

10- SECOND PENALTIES

Procedural Penalties

Use of "illegally acquired" ammunition (i.e. NOT carried to the line/staged by the shooter in an approved manner)

* Reference “Shooters Handbook” page 11

RO1 p.24

5-SECOND PENALTIES

Each target hit with “illegally acquired” ammunition.

RO1 p.23

Thanks guys, I thought I must have missed something in the interpretation so I asked. Not to say they are rampant but I do see these about and advertised on one or two sites that market to us. Actually, my belly is still my shot shell advantage but I am trying hard to get rid of this unfair advantage! :blush:

Archived