SASS Wire Forum

SCAM Warning!

Dorado

Just a little while ago I got a call from a man claiming to be with Windows saying that my computer is sending out viruses. If you get one of these calls do not do what they say. They will ask you to do a series of things on your computer but it essentially opens you're computer up to them so that they can steal your information. I've attached a link to a video that shows what's going on.

A fake antivirus scammer calls a security researcher.

If one calls you, tell them you'll call the windows tech support yourself. They will get very mad at you. Please don't give these creeps a chance. Be careful.

Figured I'd let y'all know. Just one more thing to be careful of.

Dorado

I screen every call here.

Another thought. Microsoft is not in the virus protection business--they are a software manufacturer. Where would Microsoft get your phone number to call you? IP addresses are not associated with phone numbers--unless perhaps you are using a dial-up modem and at that it would be your internet service provider (ISP) that would be able to trace your activity--not Microsoft.

Anyway, good on you for not falling for it and for spreading the word.

Another thing I have noticed about the phishing e-mails that I get--they usually have grammatical or spelling errors. Sometimes they very subtle, but they are there. Also look at the return address of the person who is sending you the message. I get phishing messages fairly frequently from someone saying they are from such and such bank and my account has been compromised. I can't say that even one of them has ever had a return address that was actually at the bank.

To justify my claims, I offer my job title:

Manager, Technical Support Service

Central Michigan University

Yeah---I was getting several of those type calls a few months ago---called Micro Soft---they said they DO NOT make such calls!!! If ya get any more such calls listen closely-----legit persons go as Microsoft techs NOT WINDOWS techs---or caller will be with such &such company affiliated with or representing computer brand name----no such tie in exist----usually caller will have a very heavy foreign accent----Pakistan-India or where ever the heck they are calling from---very hard to understand what they are saying!

Exactly what I ran into. I had fun making him mad. If I get a call from him again I'll tell him that I've reported him to the local FBI Cybercrime division. lol

Another thought. Microsoft is not in the virus protection business--they are a software manufacturer. Where would Microsoft get your phone number to call you? IP addresses are not associated with phone numbers--unless perhaps you are using a dial-up modem and at that it would be your internet service provider (ISP) that would be able to trace your activity--not Microsoft. Anyway, good on you for not falling for it and for spreading the word.Another thing I have noticed about the phishing e-mails that I get--they usually have grammatical or spelling errors. Sometimes they very subtle, but they are there. Also look at the return address of the person who is sending you the message. I get phishing messages fairly frequently from someone saying they are from such and such bank and my account has been compromised. I can't say that even one of them has ever had a return address that was actually at the bank.To justify my claims, I offer my job title:Manager, Technical Support ServiceCentral Michigan University

That is why I knew that it was a scam right off. I may be young but I'm not as dumb as I act.

Archived