SASS Wire Forum

FIRST SHOTS FROM 97

I posted a couple of weeks ago when I was lucky enough to find a 1902 97 in nice shape. Yesterday, I got a chance to stop at the range and throw a few clays. Not only did the 97 work flawlessly (except for a couple of empties that didn't want to ;eave the gun), but I had a BLAST. This is the sweetest shooting shotgun I have ever used. It swings just fast enough, it's light enough that my off-arm is not sagging, and it points perfectly. I just about ignored the bead, and she was on target every time.

I'm in love!

LL

I agree with you about the 97. If I was to start hunting or shooting trap again, this would be my shotgun.

Get yourself a couple of spare ejectors for about $2 each and have a smith look at the extractors every once in a while and you are good to go.

My 1908 has not seen an easy life but it works as well as any new pump (except for steel shot).

I routinely shoot Trap with my 1912 era Model 1897... Like you, this one fits me better than anything in my safe.

Single shot 870 he sez...... :blink:

They are both "pump-action" shotguns.

LG

Yep, but one is a "trap" gun, the other is sometimes used for trap. There is a difference ya know. :lol: :lol:

They work great.

Until they don't. ;)

LG

I wuz kinda thunking that also, Lumpy. :mellow:

Of course you could get one of them single shot trap guns that run four or five times the price of either an 870 or a 97.

I posted a couple of weeks ago when I was lucky enough to find a 1902 97 in nice shape. Yesterday, I got a chance to stop at the range and throw a few clays. Not only did the 97 work flawlessly (except for a couple of empties that didn't want to ;eave the gun), but I had a BLAST. This is the sweetest shooting shotgun I have ever used. It swings just fast enough, it's light enough that my off-arm is not sagging, and it points perfectly. I just about ignored the bead, and she was on target every time.

I'm in love!

LL

Buy your own words you have ejection issues. :unsure:

It will only get worst. ;)

Take the bolt out and see if the "leg" on the left extractor has broken off(very common).

The left extractor is the 4th item down.....

http://www.evilroy.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=29_34

Make sure the screw that holds the ejector is good and snug.

Put a drop of oil on the right side extractor plunger.

Good luck,

LG

LG

Remington made a dedicated 870 Trap model. It had a magazine plug so it really was a single shot. I have 2 friends that shoot them....

Remington made a dedicated 870 Trap model. It had a magazine plug so it really was a single shot. I have 2 friends that shoot them....

Browning did similar with their auto. Two shots is all you get, it is a trap gun. A beautiful trap gun. You can find them if you look for the Twelvette two shot auto, great gun, last made about 1956. Balances great, great steel, Hibidium (spl) reciever and all engraved a true beauty.

OK, thanks for that.

Don't understand the "why tho...

A std 870 is ATA legal.

LG

Buy your own words you have ejection issues. :unsure:

It will only get worst. ;)

Take the bolt out and see if the "leg" on the left extractor has broken off(very common).

The left extractor is the 4th item down.....

http://www.evilroy.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=29_34

Make sure the screw that holds the ejector is good and snug.

Put a drop of oil on the right side extractor plunger.

Good luck,

LG

Many thanks, LG :rolleyes:

LL

Dadgummit Sarge, now ya dun went and let the dat out of the bag.

Archived