SASS Wire Forum

Question for Bomb Tech types

Every time there is a bomb on T.V. or in the movies, somebody opes the case or whatever it is in, and we are shown a timer, circuitry, wiring, (a LOT of wiring), cell phone, blinking LEDs, and so forth. This is usually leads to, "How do we stop this thing?!", or "Don't worry. I can disarm it". Followed by "Cut the red wire", or an explosion.

As an untrained observer, the thing that I've always wondered is: Why can't the thing be disarmed by removing the blasting caps from the explosive? Is the case of a cell phone, why not remove the battery from the phone?

Every time there is a bomb on T.V. or in the movies, somebody opes the case or whatever it is in, and we are shown a timer, circuitry, wiring, (a LOT of wiring), cell phone, blinking LEDs, and so forth. This is usually leads to, "How do we stop this thing?!", or "Don't worry. I can disarm it". Followed by "Cut the red wire", or an explosion.

As an untrained observer, the thing that I've always wondered is: Why can't the thing be disarmed by removing the blasting caps from the explosive? Is the case of a cell phone, why not remove the battery from the phone?

in the movies/tv there is always a secondary switch, blasting caps are epoxied in and they always cut the red wire because the bomber has to follow a very strict wiring color code for bombs other wise he will get kick out of the bomb makers union

Because it's fiction.

Each bomb builder has a preference on building explosive devices, and how its going to be used, and how to prevent it from being deactivated.

Some are set off by preassure on the trigger mech., some by realease after trigger is activated and set. There are altitude timers, some using Mercury, timers, radio or telephone signals, FM, AM, UHF, etc signals. Some keep from exploding by having a current flowing, as a battery, solar, etc. cut the current, and BOOM!

Some wirings are there to confuse, maybe following all the paths, but one. Also solid circuits, replacing wiring, has made following paths, and bombers design harder to deactivate. Some bombs are encased, once encased, a trip activates and arms the bomb. Taking one of these apart is usually fatal. They may have to X-Ray same first, which is also hazard, because they won't know when it will go off. Etc.

It looks easy on TV, and the movies, but it isn't. MT

In reality, most domestic bombs are pretty simple in construction and relatively easy to disarm. They tend to be fairly crude pipe bombs and BP devices built with plans off the internet by nut jobs.

Overseas, you now see more sophisticated devices with motion switches etc.

A complicated device will usually be blown in place by remote control if possible. Sometimes they need to be transported in a bombproof vehicle to a remote location.

The little robots have been a tremendous addition to bomb squads.

BBC did a great realistic series "Danger UXB" about the EOD troops in London during the Blitz. Not a job I'd want. :blink:

Guest Rio Grande Slim

What happens if all the wires are red? :blink:

Oh yea I remember Boom and you see saint peter. :mellow:

or for some of us a some what different person :angry:

In reality, most domestic bombs are pretty simple in construction and relatively easy to disarm. They tend to be fairly crude pipe bombs and BP devices built with plans off the internet by nut jobs.

Overseas, you now see more sophisticated devices with motion switches etc.

A complicated device will usually be blown in place by remote control if possible. Sometimes they need to be transported in a bombproof vehicle to a remote location.

The little robots have been a tremendous addition to bomb squads.

BBC did a great realistic series "Danger UXB" about the EOD troops in London during the Blitz. Not a job I'd want. :blink:

I remember that series. Especially the one where he's banging on a bomb casing to loosen the nut.

Archived