SASS Wire Forum

Slip hammering

Frenchy Cannuck

It is truly amazing that I have the only 18 Rugers in the whole world that does that. Must be carma.

I know that yer being sarcastic...but you can pull the hammer back on the first shot.

Perhaps we are having a bit of a communication gap...because I know that neither you nor those like me that are saying the opposite of you fibbing...

If you pull the trigger back on the first shot, it does hang up...but that clears as you pull the hammer back. Therefore you can slip hammer the first shot.

Cheers!

Phantom

:FlagAm:

It is truly amazing that I have the only 18 Rugers in the whole world that does that. Must be carma.

My Ruger with the transfer bar does it too 'Roo ....I love fanning, but that first shot isn't that easy when the t-bar smacks the bottom of the firing pin when the trigger is held back on the first cock.

GG ~:FlagAm:

I know that yer being sarcastic...but you can pull the hammer back on the first shot.

Perhaps we are having a bit of a communication gap...because I know that neither you nor those like me that are saying the opposite of you fibbing...

If you pull the trigger back on the first shot, it does hang up...but that clears as you pull the hammer back. Therefore you can slip hammer the first shot.

Cheers!

Phantom

100%

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Ok,ok.

Here we go....

Some of the best shooters in our sport Slip Hammer. Some of the best shooters in our sport DO NOT slip hammer.

This is what I would consider an "advanced" technique and I would not suggest a new(er) shooter do it. Take the time to master the traditional way of shooting (which is cock the hammer, pull the trigger) and then start playing with slip hammering during practice.

It does take considerably more control to slip hammer because if you are not exactly on target when you let that hammer go, you miss and there is no calling it back. If you shoot in the traditional way, if you are not quite on target you can hesitate a fraction of a second before breaking the shot.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you have really practiced, and what you are comfortable with.......just like everything else.

yes sir!........you can get a couple of misses before you know it (practice, practice, pracatice, front sight, front sight, front sight).

Must be the way you operate. Nobody else has stated that hey have the same problem sliphammerin a Rooger.

Or maybe a Yankee thang? Send them thangs down south for a while and they be alright in a lil bit. :lol: :lol:

Mine catches the firing pin too, but I never noticed it until you brought it to my attention.But as soon as I pull the hammer back it goes right over the firing pin, it has never caught the pin and stopped me from firing.

Mine catches the firing pin too, but I never noticed it until you brought it to my attention.But as soon as I pull the hammer back it goes right over the firing pin, it has never caught the pin and stopped me from firing.

same here..

same here..

I guess I brought it up in the 1st place because it had caused a fail to fire situation for me on occasion.

All of my current match Rugers have been modified to make a smoother transition. As I said before, I mostly shoot 3 screws and Colts which do not have an issue at all.

I guess I brought it up in the 1st place because it had caused a fail to fire situation for me on occasion.

All of my current match Rugers has been modified to make a smoother transition. As I said before, I mostly shoot 3 screws and Colts which do not have an issue at all.

I'm gonna have to talk to you the next time I see you, and ask you how you modified your Rugers. I can see how it could maybe cause a problem.I want to be fast like you!!

I'm gonna have to talk to you the next time I see you, and ask you how you modified your Rugers. I can see how it could maybe cause a problem.I want to be fast like you!!

Between you and Geronimo Jim, an old guy has to keep on their toes to stay close to ya! Maybe I'll see you in Jefferson. PA this weekend.

Roo

• 3 weeks later...

I understand keeping the trigger pressed in and slipping the hammer. My question is how do you stay on target?

Frenchy

Ya'll gonna have that perfected by August??

Zeke

Yeah, but ya can't let anyone know, cause fannin is illegal. :lol: :lol:

I know that you are kidding, but just in case others are not sure about the fanning vs. slip hammering see Safety Rule 20 in the Shooters Handbook (underline added).

20. SASS matches are not fast draw competitions. Any unsafe gun handling in the course of a

draw from the holster or any “fanning” will result in the shooter’s disqualification from that

stage. “Slip-hammering” is not the same as fanning and is legal.

A new indoor range opened up recently here and I took the revolvers out for spin to shoot at paper a week ago. They both shoot point of aim at 25'

Did that for awhile and then tried slipping the hammer and I was all over the place. I plan on going back and practicing it slower and then speeding it up to see how that works for me.

Cheers!

Phantom

Snakebite

Archived