SASS Wire Forum

WTB JOSIE WALES HAT 7 1/4 OR 73/8

INFORMATION LEADING TO THE WHERE ABOUT'S TRULY APPRECIATED.

WHO SELLS THEM OR WHO MIGHT HAVE ONE HIDDEN AND NOT USED,

BUT WILLING TO SELL.....HELP!

HAPPY TRAILS

QDG

INFORMATION LEADING TO THE WHERE ABOUT'S TRULY APPRECIATED.

WHO SELLS THEM OR WHO MIGHT HAVE ONE HIDDEN AND NOT USED,

BUT WILLING TO SELL.....HELP!

HAPPY TRAILS

QDG

Roy Jackson at Jaxonbilt Hats would make you one. Great guy, great prices. Long wait, though (He told me my order would be ready to ship in10-12 weeks). Also, check out The Last Best West. They make a Josie Wales hat - clean or soiled.

All hats start with the same basis body. The difference is in how the brim is cut to width and how high the crown is. Go on ebay and find yourself a "cowboy" hat with about a 4 inch brim and a 4.5 inch crown get it wet, and mold it into the shape desired. A steam kettle can also be used. Felt can be shaped many times, and once dry will hold that shape. Best results will be had with hats made of fur such as beaver or rabbit or blends thereof. Wool is harder to work with and will shrink. Once you have it as you want it, wear it until dry, or put a hat stretcher in it until dry.

Click

to see Roy Roger block a hat. :)

WOW, sure do appreciate all your help! I'm following

up on your suggestions!

Happy trails

and thank you again!

Quick Draw Grandpaw

Mike

All hats start with the same basis body. The difference is in how the brim is cut to width and how high the crown is. Go on ebay and find yourself a "cowboy" hat with about a 4 inch brim and a 4.5 inch crown get it wet, and mold it into the shape desired. A steam kettle can also be used. Felt can be shaped many times, and once dry will hold that shape. Best results will be had with hats made of fur such as beaver or rabbit or blends thereof. Wool is harder to work with and will shrink. Once you have it as you want it, wear it until dry, or put a hat stretcher in it until dry.

Click

Thanks for posting the link, Griz. I loved it.

Click

Blocking a hat is pretty straightforward; however, without a curling iron set, the pencil curl can be a pain in the hindquarters. It can be done, and I have done it. But, to get consistency all around the brim. a brim curling iron is what it takes. That's why they charge $10-$20 extra to curl a brim. The Wales hat has a pretty stout curl. Hard to do with a teakettle.

Archived