SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range 2012 - AWESOME!

Dubious Don #56333

What an absolutely TERRIFIC match! Posse 19 I'll shoot with y'all anytime! I would like to thank everyone for working so hard and making this WR one to remember!

Ambush

Arizona Redneck

Beaver Trapper

Bonnie Dee

Charlie Valentine

Cimarron Larna (Way to cowgirl, sweetie!!)

Cole Monroe

Crooked Eye

Cruzan Confusion

Dangerous Dan Dalton

Dee Horne

High Country

Robber Baron

Sparks

Stormy Shooter

Texas Brett

Tumbleweed Dan

U.K. Dane

Wrangler Ryan

y'all worked your be-hinds off, we stayed on schedule and even made up a little on them looonggg stages where almost ever-body got backed up a little. Wow, what a great bunch of cowgirls and cowboys!

The weather was BEAUTIFUL, bright and sunny, well except for the WB days when it was a mite chilly and breezy and Friday morning when it blew down a couple of storefronts, tents and whatnot....I think I even saw Gilligan's boat go by during stage 11!

Stages were A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!! Not too hard, not too boring, just the right mix that makes an OUTSTANDING match. Props were excellent!! Vendors well, way too much to buy. Lots of folks who just came out to watch how cowboys do it. Great job by Sheriff Joe's finest providing parking assistance and security and of course the Winter Range Rangers and Rough Riders who make the world's BESTEST match possible!

There were some great stage props; bowling ball activated flyer, (no, you have to shoot the CAN, not the dove that happened by at the wrong moment. Dove was unhurt by the way and so was the can) The mine cart; The dueling tree (You know it's windy when it taked down a hundred-plus pound tree THREE times) Knockdowns that were big and close that went down at the slightest breeze of a passing bullet. (not mine y'unnerstand, I missed them suckers CLEAN. So much fer aiming...) The stage fronts were totally awesomely...awesome. Parking seemed to go pretty well and visitors got a ride from the parking lot (We had a LOT of those, did I mention that?)

This match sold out in record time I do believe with 789 (or so) shooters which I also believe is a new record! (There's a reason for that, I need not explain. There were a few glitches; That's gonna happen with a match this size. Rollers that...didn't, target activators that...didn't, little stuff mainly but help was right at hand and by and large, things ran pretty smooth!

I would also like to thank the cowboys who cowboyed up to help me get Cimarron's scooter out and back in the truck today after my liftgate broke last night. The wife is getting her hip replaced right soon and wouldn't have been able to shoot today without her scooter and she was a mite upset over this. That sucker weighs a couple hundred pounds (More than Dubious can do by himself) but not to fear, some wonderful Arizona Ranger's came to the rescue and got it out and then back IN the truck at the end of the day's shooting. (Wouldn't you know, the breaker I replaced early this morning was only half the problem; when I got home after the match today it turned out to be a failed cable which was easy to fix. The old thing about your lost car keys always being in the LAST place you look come to mind. I feel sort of stupid I didn't think of that first....)

Oh yeah, I'm coming back next year! February 18-24, 2013 Mark yer calendars, pards!!

Things I'm going to do better next year;

Bring more money to spend. I just hate it when I have to live in my budget..... :blink:

Miss less. I said that last year, at least I didn't git no P's this year but the time of my misses dropped me down quite a bit. At the upper end, which I certainly don't consider myself in, there ain't much room for error. You have a mistake, it's gonna cost ya..... :huh:

Have more fun. Hmmm.....maybe I better think about this one. I don't really think it's possible but....if it is, I'll do it!! :)

Bring guns that work. Stupid 97....my own fault, shoulda made sure the dang thing worked better. Thought it would but obviously there was a failure in the testing and certifying process. Have to have a talk with the Resident Stationary Engineer about that one....

Get an RV and stay at the range. Don't know about y'all, but there's way too much fun going on to spend time driving to and from every day. (See #3) :rolleyes:

Bring more money to spend. I just hate it when I have to live in my budget..... :blink:

Miss less. I said that last year, at least I didn't git no P's this year but the time of my misses dropped me down quite a bit. At the upper end, which I certainly don't consider myself in, there ain't much room for error. You have a mistake, it's gonna cost ya..... :huh:

Have more fun. Hmmm.....maybe I better think about this one. I don't really think it's possible but....if it is, I'll do it!! :)

Bring guns that work. Stupid 97....my own fault, shoulda made sure the dang thing worked better. Thought it would but obviously there was a failure in the testing and certifying process. Have to have a talk with the Resident Stationary Engineer about that one....

Get an RV and stay at the range. Don't know about y'all, but there's way too much fun going on to spend time driving to and from every day. (See #3) :rolleyes:

You need to find a good armorer to check out your guns more carefully. Sounds like the shoe cobbler complaining about his shoes. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah!!! I heard the stories about all the vendors but never in my wildest dreams did I imagine it would be like a full blown mall.

Oh yeah again!!! It was my first Winter Range so I let myself get too hyped up and forgot all about those pesky things hanging off the front of my guns. What are they called, sight? Yeah, something like that. I couldda been a contender.

Oh yeah number three!!! Never had a better week of shooting, it went by in the blink of an eye. This was absolutely the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

Knock on wood, not a single gun or ammunition malfunction the whole match. Only malfunctions I had were between my ears.

Oh yeah number four!!! Rolling out of bed and walking to the range, vendor area, big tent, etc was FANTASTIC. I brought reading materials for the periods of boredom between shooting days but never opened a single book. There wasn't a minute in the week when we weren't having a rip roaring great time. Can't wait till next year.

You need to find a good armorer to check out your guns more carefully. Sounds like the shoe cobbler complaining about his shoes. :rolleyes:

HAHAHAHAHA! Funny part of it was I "thought" I had all the bugs out and I did consider a last minute mod (See my 97 only holds five, not six so I'm at a BIG disadvantage......) but I decided not to. After two double feeds with the thing and a nice gash from the bolt on one hand which I'm hoping scars up real well so I can 'use it to tell the story' I switched to my old reliable which of course worked flawlessly.

My biggest flaw was the fire control computer. Seems there's a short between the sight assembly and the trigger nut..... :blink: Probably ought to get that fixed before next year..... :lol::lol::lol:

Archived