SASS Wire Forum

Gun transfer question

I've bought & sold many guns and was never concerned about this question. I was the go between between to guys I know. Picked up the gun, delivered it to the other guy. The seller was quite concerned about no bill of sale. He said if the guys robs a store with it, you were the one who bought it!

Does it really make a difference? If I sell a gun to my neighbor, which is legal and he does something illegal with it how does that concern me? (assuming no knowledge of the convicted fellon thing ).

Doc

If it was between individuals and that was a legal transaction who's to know where the gun goes. The seller to you is just being a little paranoid as he probably bought the gun new and the fed's could go to him if the gun is used in a crime. That said it probably isn't a bad Idea to exchange names and locations that protects you too that you didn't participate in the transfer of a stolen gun.

If the feds show up at the door looking for a gun I sold that I bought with paper work my standard answer if I no longer own the gun is "I sold it at a gun show." Who to? A guy who thought it was worth more than I did!

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

When a firearm is used in a crime, recovered, and traced by ATF the chain of ownership from factory to last ffl to retail purchaser is followed to find the most recent owner. This is a rational way to try and solve a crime.

As a FFL I've been called to provide such information, strange they were surprized by my quick ability to provide the info.

I don't transfer retail firearms anymore nor have not for many years [gunsmith only] but the records are kept until the ffl goes out of business then turned in to the atf.

I know private citizens who have been contacted in such circumstances and being able to say who they sold a recovered firearm to was helpful. I suspect being the very last known person in the chain of such ownership is possibly unpleasant.

Joe

If you sell a gun to your neighbor, then he commits a felony with the gun, it can be traced to you is all, doesn't matter if it happens the next day or 10 years down the road, or if you sell it to your neighbor and then it is stolen from him and that person goes on a crime spree then it is traced to you, and you never reported it stolen since it is in your name, now I'm no lawyer and don't know what would happen to you, more than likely nothing, but nowadays you never know. You can always do a bill of sale with your neighbor or who ever to show that you sold that gun to somebody, have that person's permit number, date of purchase, type of gun, serial number, etc etc, you know where I'm going with this, always be safe, quite a few out there that don't give a darn about, just the way it is nowadays.

Now, I'm no lawyer as I stated, maybe one will chime in on this, I would like to know more about this myself

All for now JD Trampas

I personally prefer a paper trail...

Depends on what the laws are in the State you reside. Assuming you live in a State that has no 'registration' and private transfers are allowed, you have no real legal liability should you sell a gun to someone who is prohibited. Some people like the be able to show a 'paper trail." Not a bad idea should the cops come calling.

Should the cops come calling and "A" firearm you sold was used in a crime and was traced back to you, obviously some badge-types may be very interested in whatever information you have because that will help build their case against the illegal user. If that's one gun, it really shouldn't be a big deal provided you didn't knowingly sell to a prohibited person. Always a good idea to make sure on that point.

Even in the "olden days" when newspapers would accept gun for sale ads, and when parking lot sales of long guns at gun shows was common, I asked for and copied the name and DOB from the drivers license of the purchaser. I then at least knew he was of age and a legal resident of my state. Never had a problem with anybody thinking this was out of line, nor did the law dogs ever come knocking, but if they did, I could at least say "yep, I bought that at XXX FFL, and sold it to Joe Smith, DOB 1/1/55 on 1/1/99 or whatever. Just suppose there's a murder and the gun is tossed in a dumpster in my town, I would rather not be a "person of interest"....

It might be nice to have a paper trail if you are the seller but what if you are the buyer? Do you still want a paper trail?

Yes! I have nothing to hide and am not going to do anything illegal with it...

Here's a short story: Years ago my wife bought me a Davis derringer. To me the Davis was a cheap gun that I was not going to shoot so I put it in the safe for "non-use". Years later she was having a garage sale and a little old man asked if she had any guns for sale. She happened to think about the Davis, sold it to the gent, and that was that. About a year or so after that she got a call from the San Diego PD asking if she owned a Davis derringer. They just asked the questions, let her know the derringer that it was used in a robbery.

Moral to this story: as a private citizen I don't have to have a paper trail, but from now on I'll have one.

Take care,

Barry Sloe

Archived