SASS Wire Forum

Anti-virus / Firewall recommendations?

Happy New Year to y'all.

It's almost time to renew or purchase an anti-virus / anti-spyware / firewall program for the computer. Prefer an all-in-one piece of integrated software rather than different software from different vendors. Just curious what others are using and recommend.

We used to get Norton free from work, but no more. Tried AVG but it seemed to slow down the machine and cause conflicts with other programs. Currently running Kaspersky and it seems OK, but again seems to run awfully slow. I'm seeing a few new program names out there that are unfamiliar, and wondering if they work well.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Happy New Year to y'all.

It's almost time to renew or purchase an anti-virus / anti-spyware / firewall program for the computer. Prefer an all-in-one piece of integrated software rather than different software from different vendors. Just curious what others are using and recommend.

We used to get Norton free from work, but no more. Tried AVG but it seemed to slow down the machine and cause conflicts with other programs. Currently running Kaspersky and it seems OK, but again seems to run awfully slow. I'm seeing a few new program names out there that are unfamiliar, and wondering if they work well.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Microsoft Security Essentials

Free Download

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

It takes care of Viruses and Spyware. Use Windows Firewall.

Be sure to download the version that applies to your version of Windows. Update often.

To be extra safe, run Housecal, free online virus scan once a week, or so, depending on how much you use the WEB. Turn off MSE real-time protection before running Housecall. Don't forget to turn it back on when you're done.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I ain't no guru, . . . am confuser illiterate, . . push the buttons and hope/ pray that the thinger works.

However . . . had used Norton for years and was happy with it. Then got a new confuser that had McAffee built into it. It would not alow me to install Norton and would not alow itself to be uninstalled. So used McAffee for two years and then had a "worm" infest my cornfuser and make a mess of it. Got a new confuser and made sure that I could install Norton. Fortunatley I do back ups of critical stuff onto CDroms every two weeks ( leaned to ALWAYS do that after a hard drive crashed loosing for me a great collection of old west and steam railroad photos :angry: DAMN ). So did not have any great loss when eliminated infested computer and switched to this heer new one. I'm very happy with Norton. :)

I use to use Norton, not any more, I now use Microsoft Security Essentials, free download as stated, my pc runs faster than it ever did with Norton, very happy with this program and it's free, and my g/f is also running it and she likes it also. I run a full system scan at least once a week, sometimes I run a quick scan during the week, it is setup to run once a week when I'm sleeping, but I do these scans just to keep up and haven't had any problems yet, when I did my very first scan with this program it caught some things that Norton never did and it took care of it. Like I said I'm very happy with this problem and the g/f is to.

All for now JD Trampas

I also use the Microsoft Security Essentials....it's free...it works..and its updated regularly. I also make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on and use Account Level security in Win 7.

I also use AVG Free antivirus...it also updates itself and runs a scan during the middle of the night once a week. It also has a security bar that is active during web browsing sessions and that helps as well. It scans incoming and outgoing email and a few other things that I don't remember now. You can get it for free here.

Microsoft Essentials does a fairly good job especially for the price. FREE.

You must up date regularly and set it up to the highest level you can and still do what you want.

ESET has an all in one package called ESET Smart Security 5

or their anti virus NOD 32 which is included in Smart Security 5.

The link above has a comparison chart.

Microsoft Security Essentials

Free Download

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

It takes care of Viruses and Spyware. Use Windows Firewall.

Be sure to download the version that applies to your version of Windows. Update often.

To be extra safe, run Housecal, free online virus scan once a week, or so, depending on how much you use the WEB. Turn off MSE real-time protection before running Housecall. Don't forget to turn it back on when you're done.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

We have been using microsoft essentials for a couple of months. So far see no difference from the Mcafee. we were paying for.

Much obliged for all the replies. It's interesting that the "free stuff" from Microsoft, etc do such a good job. The chart that Cliff Hanger included is mighty interesting, too. If it's accurate, then maybe the AVG ain't all that it's cracked up to be. I found that pretty surprising, as I'd never heard anything bad about it.

Again, appreciate the help. Plenty for me to look into now.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free from Microsoft and works quite lightly {not using much resources}. If you have Windows operating system it makes good sense to use it.

Windows Firewall {if you have a later Windows version} is built in but can be turned off. Check if enabled. Software Firewalls

like Windows or Norton and other software makers WILL slow down your computer however. THE best firewall is a router; even if you have just one computer,,, then you can disable your software firewall and enjoy a faster and safer computer.

Archived