SASS Wire Forum

Need stage ideas ----shooting at poker cards

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

A few years ago I went to a SASS match in southern PA where we fired at playing cards.

I recollect we shot at them edgeways on one stage (cutting the card).

And then facing the cards on another stage (where any hit counted).

But I do not recollect how the stage was written around them cards. :mellow:

I think we only took one shot at the card per stage. And it was probably a bonus shot.

Has anyone else done this? How was it written?

I have a few hundred playing cards laying around and would like to work them into our matches this coming summer.

Much obliged in advance,

Mustang Gregg

We did this a few years ago and will be doing it again at the next Brimstone Pistolero's Thunder Valley match.

I put one card in a slit in a thick cardboard backer. I put another card flat between two strips of thin wood (think cheap yardsticks).

Shooter gets 5 shots out of a pistol to engage the two cards. Shoot at the edgewise card a maximum of 5 times. You stop when you break the front edge of the card. If you break the front edge you get a bonus. As soon as you break the front edge of the edgewise card, start shooting the flat card. You get a bonus for every shot on the flat card. This is done on the clock, but you could also do it off the clock at the start of the stage before the beep.

We do Card splitting ,,,,, bullet splitting on an axe at some of our shoots ,,,,, but mostly as side matches ...

But we do "Shoot Yer best hand" with cards ,,,,,,, you have the choice of seven cards make your best hand ....with your 5 shots ... Misses are misses and your Poker Hand goes in the draw barrel (as noted on the score sheet )and we draw five hands from the bucket for prizes ....

Jabez Cowboy

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Another way I'm was pondering is to set up one card edgeways at maybe 6 yds and give 5 madatory rifle shots to cut it off clean.

The last 5 rifle shots go onto a gong at normal distance in a Nebraska Sweep.

Scoring--

If you cut the card clear off in 5 shots, it is -10 seconds off your time.

By clear off, I mean at least the whole top edge would need to be gone.

If you miss it completely or just nick it, no penalty.

Scoring and resetting a new card would not be a long process.

At 6 yds away, the spotters ought to see if the card got cut off or not.

Reckon that would work?

MG

Greg; If I were to write a stage with a playing card I'd make it the primary with no misses before a hit....a miss if all five or ten missed. After a hit on the card the shooter could dump on a plate. You could have multiple cards or one for each pistol as an idea.

Just my too scents.

KK

We did shoot at aces once, up at Columbias Christmas match. Just another hit or miss target, facing shooter, with no score attached BUT each card was given to its owner and after the match the one with the closest to center received some sort of prize. The card (pistol target) was close enough to hit if you slowed down slightly but out of a hundred or more shooters, only three or four cards were close enough to require the overlay sheet and there was a two way shoot-off for the prize. Mine was also a dead center hole but they got all upty cause it had two holes in it and the MD swore he saw me with a pencil in my pocket earlier! Now the big question is where did they find those decks that were all Aces and of the same suite??

I have thought about doing this. I would mount all of the cards on a wooden rack so they sit in slots facing away from the shooters. The shooter shoots 5 cards at random and their hand is recorded on the score sheet. Misses don't count, but the shooter has less cards to make a good hand. The winning poker hand after the match wins a prize.

Numerous yrs ago we had a New Years shoot, where you had 5 rifle shots at cards attached to a piece of 4x8 plywood. They were face down, and a hit was a hit. Nobody saw your cards except you. When we had enough shooters to play a hand, we would play poker with the cards we had and winner take all. Works great with alot of shooters, or you can shoot 2 cards, then play "Hold 'em". Lots of variations, always fun.

Recently we held a "Top Gun" match. We shot out candles(without touching the candle, just the flame), shot balls across the ground, and split a playing card on "edge" with 1911. There were of course other tests of skill, but the playing card was a true winner.

Just another way to keep things interesting and different. :FlagAm:B)

Numerous yrs ago we had a New Years shoot, where you had 5 rifle shots at cards attached to a piece of 4x8 plywood. They were face down, and a hit was a hit. Nobody saw your cards except you. When we had enough shooters to play a hand, we would play poker with the cards we had and winner take all. Works great with alot of shooters, or you can shoot 2 cards, then play "Hold 'em". Lots of variations, always fun.

Recently we held a "Top Gun" match. We shot out candles(without touching the candle, just the flame), shot balls across the ground, and split a playing card on "edge" with 1911. There were of course other tests of skill, but the playing card was a true winner.

Just another way to keep things interesting and different. :FlagAm:B)

Several years ago we did something similar - cards face down on a 4x8 board at about 4 yards - for $1 you got 5 shots. Shooter collected his cards. We replaced the cards with new ones for the next shooter. After all had their hands, you could replace up to 3 cards for $1 - best hand took the pot. One cowboy who had never played poker won the pot three months in a row, so we quit! It was a lot of fun, however

I've done stages like that.

One was having a deck of cards stapled to a sheet of plywood face up. Shooter drew a card from another deck and fired five shots from a handgun at the corresponding card on the plywood. Smallest five shot group won a prize.

Sage Creek Gus

Archived