SASS Wire Forum

To Those Who Use Lee Progressive Loaders

Can you use the Lee auto powder measure that does have use the little chain thingy with a Lee progressive reloader? Thanks in advance.

Yes, not a problem. There is a place on the carrier to attach the pullback chain and spring. I sometimes use one on a Lyman turret press. I made a pullback device on the toggle linkage. Works great

Drifter

Y'all, I'm really sorry. I meant to say can you use the auto powder measure that does NOT have the chain.

I swear, my proofreading really sucks.

I meant to say can you use the auto powder measure that does NOT have the chain.

I use the powder measure w/o the chain on the progressive. I never liked the one w/ the chain, it just never worked smoothly for me. One thing though, it's entirely possible to double charge things much easier this way. Also, if you're loading .38's any split mouth on a case will NOT push the slide back far enough to drop the entire powder load. You'll get a partial which will amount to a squib load. I can't speak for any other calibers but for the .38's it's every time. Go slow and keep an eye on the slide for each pull and you should be ok. It took me a long time to figure that out. Good luck.

I use the disk powder loader without the spring. I also use a RCBS powder checker die which gives me a visual check. This has worked well for me for the last ten years. The only thing that has defeated me on my Lee proressives has been the priming or lackof.

You can definitely use the Auto-Disk and Pro Auto-disc powder measures with the standard Lee powder die on a progressive.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Automatic-Powder-Measures/

From their webpage, you can use the the Perfect Powder measure, but you will need the Universal Powder Die with it. The universal die does not expand the brass, so you will also have to use the expanding die.

Read the instructions for the Perfect Powder Measure to see this.

Does that agree with you that are using them?

I like to use a powder measure with the pull back chain instead of the spring return. I find that with the chain the powder measure resets as the shell plate is advancing thus reducing the chance of a double charge.

Blackfoot

Archived