SASS Wire Forum

looking for information

El Muerto Negro

Hey Guys

I'm still very new to guns and as much as people are willing to help. I don't want to keep asking the same

questions over and over so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a book, web site, etc.

that is a good source of information on the proper cleaning and maintenance on the guns for our sport.

I would like it to include things like after each use you should after x amount of rounds or time you should.

before you store them away you should. including step by step instructions with illustrations a gun cleaning

maintenance for dummies if you will. :D

El Muerto Negro :FlagAm:

Hey Guys

I'm still very new to guns and as much as people are willing to help. I don't want to keep asking the same

questions over and over so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a book, web site, etc.

that is a good source of information on the proper cleaning and maintenance on the guns for our sport.

I would like it to include things like after each use you should after x amount of rounds or time you should.

before you store them away you should. including step by step instructions with illustrations a gun cleaning

With smokeless power and primers of the last couple of decades or more, the need to immediately clean your guns has gone away. If you are shooting in the rain, damp conditions or severe dust, a quick outside clean will do it. Some will clean their guns completely after every shoot. Others will go 6 months without cleaning of any kind and go 12 months before a complete tear down, depending on how many rounds they have shot. I personally like the 6/12 method, but will for sure wipe them down if shooting in damp conditions to prevent rust. I do like to have at least one shoot on my guns before any major multi day match.

Now if you chose to shoot blackpowder, it is a completely different story.

With smokeless power and primers of the last couple of decades or more, the need to immediately clean your guns has gone away. If you are shooting in the rain, damp conditions or severe dust, a quick outside clean will do it. Some will clean their guns completely after every shoot. Others will go 6 months without cleaning of any kind and go 12 months before a complete tear down, depending on how many rounds they have shot. I personally like the 6/12 method, but will for sure wipe them down if shooting in damp conditions to prevent rust. I do like to have at least one shoot on my guns before any major multi day match.

Now if you chose to shoot blackpowder, it is a completely different story.

I once bought a used "old" Vaquero from a CAS shooter, which I don't think had EVER been cleaned. I imagine he just lubed it regularly. Still worked just fine, but I took it apart and cleaned it anyway.

EDIT Forgot to add, most companies will either send you, or have available for download, free manuals which tell you how to disassemble, clean and lubricate.

I remember an excellent and famous shooter being asked "how often do you clean your guns"? His answer, "when they won't work". I do it a little more often. Some people wear their gus out taking them apart and cleaning them.

Drifter

For me generally clean them every trip. When I was shooting high power with a bedded gas gun, vary rarely did a total dis-assembly and cleaning. Normally would spray out the action and clean the barrel with gun assembled.

As others have stated BP is a different story. Pyrodex seems to be an even worse story. Residue likes to soak up the moisture in the air. Having done that many of the salts in the residue do nasty things to metal once they have absorbed moisture. Good idea to get that stuff out pretty quickly. I will always clean my guns immediately on getting home from range if shooting BP. Usually spray them down with moose milk at the range

Normal conditions I wipe them down as I put them away

'66 elavator gets blast of WD-40 two or three times a year when it starts sticking (45 Colt)

Once a year they all go into the sonic cleaner and lube

Unnornal conditions like got rain on. Into the sonic cleaner as soon as practicle

Hey Guys

Good day El Muerto Negro,

Just some suggestions to help you along. All of us have been there and gun maintenance is important to keep it in good working order plus enhance the value of it if you ever decide to sell or trade it.

1) Get on the computer and start doing searches on how to clean firearms. The video may not address your particular firearm, but the basics of cleaning the firearm will be there. Proper cleaning of the barrel and cylinders plus wiping down the exterior metal and woood parts is a big step for everyone.

2) Go to your local gun store and ask if they know of any classes being offered in the area on weekends that could possible be of beneifit for your questions. Learning how to shoot better will be discussed in these classes and that would be good too.

3) I hope you are not asking the same exact questions, but if so, perhaps when the instructor is demonstrating the procedure, you can be taking some step by step digital pictures with your camera for later referal.

4) Most SASS shooters are very willing to help. Some will even take you to their home/shop for more detailed explanation and demonstration. Take them up on the offer, be gracious and offer to help them with something that you can do to help them. That is what pards are for.

5) The information is out there, I just don't know of 'a book' that tells all, shows all. Treat this as a higher education night class subject and start asking, digging, researching for the information. Take notes, pictures and what not to take home for later referal You will get a piece of information here, there, everywhere and then you can start putting all this information together. When you boil it down, 75% of the task (basic cleaning, oils and products to use or avoid) is easy.

Good luck,

Blastmaster

Don't shoot BP myself, but doesn't Capt. Baylor have cleaning advice on his website? Don't remember the domain name, or else I'd post it. Anyone else know?

Edit

See this thread:

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179976

IMHO the Otis breech to muzzle cleaning system is the best and easiest to use. They have video and printed instructions for basic cleaning. The Hardcore Hunter kit will handle all the stuff we shoot and more, I have the Elite but it's a little expensive. Good Luck :)

Otis

Hardcore

Elite

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Archived