SASS Wire Forum

Givhans Ferry Scores.......

Buffalo Brady #24830Life

Looks like a major boo-boo on the scores; this was posted on the site a few minutes ago:

Unfortunately we found a problem in the scoring program.

It got confused about what the penalties should be for misses and procedures - so it did not add those to the total stage times.

The score keeper entered the data correctly, but the program glitch caught everyone totally by surprise until an observant cowboy caught it on the posted scores.

I am are now having to "manually" us Excel to correct this.

It will definitely change the outcome of the main match and possibly others.

I have advised the leadership of the shoot and I will have corrected scores by sometime tomorrow.

I am so sorry to have to give this news.

(As I understand, the scoring program defaults to 5 sec for a miss, 10 for procedural, etc., so looks like someone may have 'zeroed out' those and forgot to put em' back!)boyoboyoboy. :wacko:

SO sorry to hear of this misfortune. No MD ever wants that to happen.

Good news - Whoopee! Free misses and Free Ps. Christmas came early!

Bad news - having to call back many of the awards.

Good news - you get to learn about what happens when someone changes the default values in the scoring program.

It's always wise to check by hand a few shooters chosen at random - see if their total time on a calculator matches with total time reported by the program. If that is good, then you have a fairly good check that the scoring program ran the numbers right. The really cautious might check that ranks were calculated correctly, too. I've taken the top ten overall and checked that the rank points do indeed increase as you go down the list, and that most of the total times increase as you go down the list. Sure it takes extra time, but not much, and it certainly can help prevent the situation you have now.

Would really be nice if the scoring program would produce a report of the settings used for the match, and BOLD or highlight all the settings that are not the standard SASS way to score a match - like, extra categories added, different values for misses and P's, the values used for SDQ and MDQ, etc. Then the match director or chief scorer could easily spot what was set up a little strangely.

Good luck, GJ

I got it corrected and scores are once again posted.

The problem impacted 10 shooters.

The biggest change was for Ozark Azz and Cowboy Junky.

For 8 others, they swapped one position.

Fortunate that it didn't impact more. A strange problem to be sure so it was essentially impossible for the match officials to know of the problem. It only showed up when I posted the full information showing all misses and penalties.

I'm keeping CD Tom advised so so he can look into the problem.

I got it corrected and scores are once again posted.

The problem impacted 10 shooters.

The biggest change was for Ozark Azz and Cowboy Junky.

For 8 others, they swapped one position.

Fortunate that it didn't impact more. A strange problem to be sure so it was essentially impossible for the match officials to know of the problem. It only showed up when I posted the full information showing all misses and penalties.

I'm keeping CD Tom advised so so he can look into the problem.

LOL.....yep, I was the champ for a day! Congrats to Ozark Azz he's a great shooter and a fine cowboy so if I have ta' give it up it couldn't go to a better person.

Thanks for saving the day---again-- Marauder. Hope they give both Azz and Junkie awards as it would be plum terrible to take it away from one after awarding it to him.

Just the view from my rocking horse.

McKenzie

FYI, I guess I've been living in the past. :D

The header on the PDF scores were 2001 instead of 2011!! (Thanks for catching that Joe.)

So take another look and do a Refresh for the correct year...

http://givhansferry.homestead.com/scores1.html

Yup, Junky, you were King for a Day!!!

But you have come such a long way and I know you will continue.

And at the Dinner, the club announced

No More Boxes!!!

Archived