SASS Wire Forum

Can you help date this pictures.

Pit Bull Tex

My linkI was told that the tractor was all most new and it was my great grand dads.My grand dad is standing on one of the wagons of stuble.One of my grand grand dad's brothers,he had 6 and 5 sisters,the brother in on the mule on the left side. I was told that most in picture are kin.Can you see the long belt on the tractor running something.

Your picture is of a threshing crew. Wheat, oats or barley is cut and tied into shocks to dry (this could have been a manual operation or cut by machine.). The shocks are piled onto wagons (way in the back in your picture. There are men standing on the stack.) The wagons are brought to the threshing machine that is connected to the tractor by the large belt. Somebody had to toss the shocks into the thresher. The thresher separates the grain from the stocks and chaff. The grain would be bagged at the thresher. Hard work requiring a lot of manual labor.

All that is replaced today by one man and a $300,000 combine

Chancy

Picture on your storage is sized way too small to see any amount of detail. Can you try scanning the photo again at a much higher resolution and storing a new copy that comes out larger?

Just as a rough guess, looks like a threshing being done with a steam-power engine. The belt drive comes off the power-take-off wheel on the engine and runs out to the equipment that is doing the work. Some of that equipment might be from the 20s, but I can't really see what is going on when the photo comes out sized like a postage stamp.

Good luck, GJ

A little too faint to make out the types of clothes they're wearing. Shirts, etc. would give some hint as to time period. Those steam engines were in use from the late 1800's through the '30's until gas/diesel tractors made them obsolete :blush:

If you chick on the link and then chick on the picture and it come up at 60% and if you chick on the picture again it gets 100%.The man on the tractor I think has on bibbed overalls,I was told that is my great grand dad.

General use of bib overalls seems to be documented as after 1905 or so. The age of the steam engine/tractor would set the earliest possible date for the photo, if you can narrow down exactly what the engine is.

Dating photos in a family is often most easily done by identifying a kid in the photo. Then you can usually tell within a year of two how old they were, and pin the date down. Recognize any younger folks in the photo?

Good luck, GJ

If you chick on the link and then chick on the picture and it come up at 60% and if you chick on the picture again it gets 100%.

Well, I'm here to tell you that this pic in mobile photobucket is not behaving well in the latest Firefox browser. Won't enlarge with a CLICK within my environment. And almost anything runs well in it.

Which person is your grandad? I'm sure you know his birthdate, so if you can estimate his age, you have the picture dated.

GJ

My linkOne more picture thanks to Palewolf.I have talked to my sister and we think it is about 1908 to 1912.

Archived