SASS Wire Forum

Using a Shemagh as a Wild Rag?

DocWard

Like many another who has deployed to the Middle East / Southwest Asia, I have a shemagh that a picked up while over there. It is, I believe, cotton, and very lightweight. I haven't measured it, but I would estimate it at about 36" x 36". It is the "standard" olive and black that could be found in and around PXs. So, my question is, is there a way to use it as a wild rag? If so, what would the best way be. I have tried various ways of tying, and it always feels big. I know this is probably because it is thicker than silk. Finally, do you think I would get odd looks wearing it? I mean more odd than I usually get, of course.

I try not to mix my fantasy sport with the reality of my past. I've got a few vet decals on my truck. I figure that's enough. I have a Cambodian scarf but it stays at home.

I think the distinctive shemagh pattern is pretty recognizable for what it is and isn't really a cowboy thing.

But that's just me. I do understand where you're coming from on this.

Maybe wear a DUI pin on your suspenders.

Fold it into a triangle, tie a half-hitch in one point and slip the other through the loop.

Wear it proud Doc. You've earned the right.

And thank you for your service.

Sure ...why not?...your choice.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I try not to mix my fantasy sport with the reality of my past. I've got a few vet decals on my truck. I figure that's enough. I have a Cambodian scarf but it stays at home.

I think the distinctive shemagh pattern is pretty recognizable for what it is and isn't really a cowboy thing.

Pardon my ignorance but what is a DUI pin?

Pardon my ignorance but what is a DUI pin?

Sorry for the military jargon. :blush: It is a unit crest, insignia or coat of arms like this. Or this. Or this. Usually a pin about an inch wide.

If you notice a similar pin on a pard's shirt, he's a vet.

I have worn the Shemaghs(3)my sons brought home for me to honor them ;)

I am not a mil. vet. But I did send 3 sons to war.

Respectfully,

LG

That may just be harder than being a vet. Thank you for raising them.

I've already kind of mixed them with my alias and all, as well as what I am trying to come up with as a "back story."

I've been contemplating having some aesthetic mods done to my revolvers, and having the 1/134th Field Artillery crest and motto on the grips of one, and the caduceus and my alias (which stems from my MOS) on the other, as a retirement gift to myself. That is, if money allows, since it is a bit tight at the moment.

Thanks for the input everyone, I will keep trying to tie it so it looks right. If I can satisfy myself, I will wear it. I think it would look smart with my dark olive colored vest.

In other good news, I tracked down my pocket watch. I might see if I can fashion a DUI fob for it. As it is, I have a chain, so all is good.

That may just be harder than being a vet. Thank you for raising them.

The oldest, our daughter is married(for 17yrs. now)to a LEO that leads a team who serves high-risk warrants. So you can say I still have one in a war.

My SIL is like a fourth son to me ;)

Having 2 sons "in country" at the same time was hard. But it was what THEY all wanted to do.

Just lucky they came back in 1 piece even after one son lost two Hummers to RPG & IED.

My wife and I have been blessed for sure.......

Respectfully,

LG

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Doc, you wear that proudly, YOU'VE EARNED IT, if anyone gives you shit about your service to OUR country, tell him to look me up and he better be heeled. God bless

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Doc, you wear that proudly, YOU'VE EARNED IT, if anyone gives you shit about your service to OUR country, tell him to look me up and he better be heeled. God bless

make that two of us Mr. Gato!! ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I've been contemplating having some aesthetic mods done to my revolvers, and having the 1/134th Field Artillery crest and motto on the grips of one, and the caduceus and my alias (which stems from my MOS) on the other, as a retirement gift to myself. That is, if money allows, since it is a bit tight at the moment.

Crest? Crest & arms? Arms only?

The motto, "Fides et Audax," would look great engraved on the back strap. Or around the cylinder.

The crest would also make a fantastic belt buckle.

ADDED:

(yes, I get, as Pat Paulson would say, picky, picky, picky, about heraldic terms. Something even more esoteric than gun terminology)

Thanks, and thanks, Gunner! If I can get it to look right when I wear it, I think I will. That is the challenge at the moment.

Crest? Crest & arms? Arms only?

The motto, "Fides et Audax," would look great engraved on the back strap. Or around the cylinder.

The crest would also make a fantastic belt buckle.

ADDED:

(yes, I get, as Pat Paulson would say, picky, picky, picky, about heraldic terms. Something even more esoteric than gun terminology)

The crest, or DUI as worn on the uniform and beret. I would love to have it enlayed, but engraving is probably much more affordable

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:134th_Field_Artillery_Regiment_DUI.png

I was thinking FIDES ET AUDAX, all caps, on the opposite side, engraved in a banner format. Now you have given me a couple of other ideas to consider, though.

The crest, or DUI as worn on the uniform and beret. I would love to have it enlayed, but engraving is probably much more affordable

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:134th_Field_Artillery_Regiment_DUI.png

I was thinking FIDES ET AUDAX, all caps, on the opposite side, engraved in a banner format. Now you have given me a couple of other ideas to consider, though.

Ah! The arms!

Emblazon of the full achievement of arms.

The "crest" is the stuff above the shield. Blazon: From a wreath Or and Gules, a sheaf of seventeen arrows Argent bound by a sprig of buckeye (Aesculus glabra) fructed Proper (two leaves with bursting burr).

Ah! The arms!

Emblazon of the full achievement of arms.

The "crest" is the stuff above the shield. Blazon: From a wreath Or and Gules, a sheaf of seventeen arrows Argent bound by a sprig of buckeye (Aesculus glabra) fructed Proper (two leaves with bursting burr).

I stand corrected. Yes, I always forget about that, since it is rarely seen. Seventeen arrows for the Seventeenth State (Ohio), and the buckeye sprig for... well... the State Tree, of course.

I stand corrected. Yes, I always forget about that, since it is rarely seen. Seventeen arrows for the Seventeenth State (Ohio), and the buckeye sprig for... well... the State Tree, of course.

I was pretty sure that was what you meant, but, since all too often when I jump to conclusions I land with my feet in my mouth, I thought a question was in order. Or maybe I'm just an ask-hole at heart. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think the crest is much more spiffier than the arms.

I was pretty sure that was what you meant, but, since all too often when I jump to conclusions I land with my feet in my mouth, I thought a question was in order. Or maybe I'm just an ask-hole at heart. :rolleyes:

Been there, done that.

Personally, I think the crest is much more spiffier than the arms.

I'm a simple kind of guy. Besides, I am accustomed to just the latter.

I have been fiddling with a small crest pin design for the SASS Vets for about a year. I don't know if i'll go through with it or not yet. It would help identify brother vets at shoots.

Blazon: From a wreath Or and Gules, a sheaf of seventeen arrows Argent

For those not famil1ar with Heraldicspeak.... a Quick and Dirty Americanese Translation....... Description: Above a twisted band of red and gold, a bundle of 17 silver arrows. ;)

For those not famil1ar with Heraldicspeak.... a Quick and Dirty Americanese Translation....... Description: Above a twisted band of red and gold, a bundle of 17 silver arrows. ;)

I knew that! That is, when I read it. It isn't something that would just roll off my tongue.

As for the crest pin, keep at it, if you're of a mind to. I would be interested in seeing, and more than likely wearing!

Archived