SASS Wire Forum

OT: AD's with Remington 700's

Trailrider #896

Did anyone see the CNBC program on problems with the Remington 700-series rifles? It was on last evening. Pointed to a number of accidents/incidents where the rifles fired WITHOUT the trigger being pulled. Problem allegedly goes back years. They even had the gent (now in his 90's) who designed the trigger back around 1946, and tried to get Remington to modify the design after reports about AD's including fatalities came in.

Now, it is well-known that NBC has an anti bias, but the documentation here was still disturbing. I recall when I was hunting back in the late '60's, and the party I was with split up. Heard a shot, and later went to investigate. The other hunter was upset as all getout! He was drawing a bead on a big bull elk, and when he went to take the safety off, his rifle fired! Missed the bull and a whole herd stampeded clear out of the valley. I do NOT recall what kind of rifle this was...

This is going to be bad for Remington's reputation, but OTOH, maybe they need to take a look at the design of the 700's triggers. The other thing is, BE SURE YOUR FIREARM ISN'T SWEEPING ANYTHING OR ANYBODY, NOR POINTED AT YOUR HOUSE, THE NEIGHBOR'S HOUSE OR ANYTHING ELSE WHERE AN AD COULD CAUSE A PROBLEM!

(Me, I never have had a problem with my Winchester M70's! But I watch the muzzle direction anyway!)

Ride CAREFUL, Pards! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your obedient servant,

This topic has been beat to death for 2 or 3 years - nothing new. CNBC actually first aired this over a year ago and continues to roll it back out when they have spare air time. There was an extended discussion on this board when the program initially aired. Remington has had a program in place for at least 3 years regarding this issue.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

What anti-gun hype Bullshi+!!!!

The Rem M700/600/660/XP100/40X all had the trigger/safety problem in the 1960's.

Remington took them back and fixed them for free, if anyone wanted it done.

Mustang Gregg

This is allmost as old as me. I have had a few more and still have six 700s ADLs and BDLs. Never had anything wrong with the triggers. Even wrote Rim. a letter when the stories came out and they told me they did gave a few that were not right.I gave them the ser,numbers of my guns and they said one might need some work.They sent me a new trigger and safety parts and a good smith here in Baytown that they knew and said he could fix it so I did not have to send it in.

Howdy, Pards,

Sorry to take up the bandwidth, but this was the first time I'd heard or seen about it. Don't usually watch CNBC, but happened on it while channel-surfing. I'm still a Winchester M70 man, myself. The only Remington's I've ever owned were an 03-A3, and some of those Remington/Elliot's patent O/U double deringers, which I never shot anyway. About those...I never could figure out how you could SAFELY carry one with both barrels loaded, as the only thing keeping the firing pin off one .41RF cartridge or the other was the half-cock, and that WOULD shear if you dropped it on the hammer! (Actually happened to a deputy sheriff down in Arizona!) :o Sorry, Paladin!

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your obdt servant,

As many have said this show is multiple years old. IIRC prior to 2005.

They didn't have a qualified gunsmith look at any of the guns. I bet the guns are in the possession of remington and have all been destroyed or altered.

(At least one may be in the hands of police.)

Almost all the cases presented in the show there was a gun handling violation of law.

How do you get home with a loaded gun from a hunt without getting into a motor vehicle with a loaded gun?

Notice when the "swat team" guy made it "slap fire" he had apparently made multiple attempts to get the right

set of conditions. I wonder how much "trigger work" they did on that rifle to prepare for that scene.

What I dunt care for on my 700 BDL 308 is that you have to remove it from safe to be able to open tha bolt...maybe it's just mine but it dunt make good sense tuu me....My Howa works as you think it shud, safety on and you can open tha bolt if desired.

I hope min is an anomily, cuz I dunt care much fer et..

Cheyenne

im always surprised ar how agressively some people respond. whether you saw this yesterday, last year, 20, 40, or 50 years ago. the fact remains that the trigger was and is a bad design. walker offered a new design decades ago that remingington did not want do to the cost increase.

and yes, you to have to release the safety to clear the gun. of course you should always watch your muzzle but that doesnt excuse this.

if enough people ensure that they buy the X mark then the walker will stop being produced but that cant happen if the word doesnt get out.

Internal documents indicate that Remington was well aware of this problem. In fact, Remington redesigned the fire control for the Model 700 with a newly designed trigger, the X-Mark Pro. That design, which eliminates the connector, was completed in 2002. However, Remington chose to continue with its Walker design for financial reasons, never warning the public. Even today, Remington installs the new fire control into some but not all of its bolt-action rifles, leaving many users at risk with the old and defective design.

CC

The really serious threat from that story is its implicit call for guns to be regulated as consumer products, as toys or automobiles are regulated. What this is an attempt to do is impose "safety" regulations as a means of backdoor gun control.

Oddnews, Whilst I believe you have hit the nail on the head with the comment about regulating guns as consumer products, I don't think there are any real attempts to impose safety regs.

As those hunting regs and federal firearms transportation regs have already been violated in the article in question.

Unless you can hunt from your residence, how can you get from the hunt to your residence with a loaded gun in a motor vehicle.

I thought that was expressly against the law. (except for handgun for personal protection.)

Archived