SASS Wire Forum

Bear Hunter Killed

Utah Bob #35998

True...very true...now try to shoot it with a handgun,rifle or slug gun.Give me 6 shot anyday.Either that or bend over and kiss your @$$ goodbye.Cause you sure as hell ain't gonna outrun it.

Either way you are going to have to have a mighty steady nerve to place your shot(s) where they count knowing that in a few seconds you are going to be bear Hors d'oeuvre. :blink:

My late uncle had a fish hatchery in Washington State and they got visits by Griz from time to time. He even had his scalp moved around a bit once when a griz surprised him. He carried a sawed off 870 with an extended magazine and as many slugs as he could fit in... he used it more than once too. Just sayin'...

Cassidy

My late uncle had a fish hatchery in Washington State and they got visits by Griz from time to time. He even had his scalp moved around a bit once when a griz surprised him. He carried a sawed off 870 with an extended magazine and as many slugs as he could fit in... he used it more than once too. Just sayin'...

Cassidy

Where in Washington State was that?

Where in Washington State was that?

He always said he wasn't far from Canada, that there were lots of hatcheries in the area, and not much for highways and roads. I don't know if there are any records but his name was Collin Skane. He's been dead at least 15 years though.

Cassidy

Was wondering, because generally we think no Grizz in Washington, but there's been a recent confirmed sighting in the North Cascades Nat'l Park, and I know they get down below the border over in the NE part of the state. So it doesn't surprize me at all if his hatchery was near the border.

Very interesting.

Update on the original post-- cause of death was bullet from hunting partner:

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/24/in-bear-attack-hunter-killed-hunter-autopsy-shows/?ref=science

Hmmm....make that a "no call." If the guy hadn't shot, the bear would have killed the one anyway. Or maybe call it a mercy killing.

Archived