SASS Wire Forum

Wlater Brennan & John Wayne - How many movies together?

Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439

Okay I am at my offfice in the middle of closing the financials and I hear someone whistling, sounding like Walter Brennan trying to get the Indians to come and get them at the early part of Red River. So I start to wonder how many movies he was in with John Wayne and I am guessing three, the afore mentioned Red River, Old California where he was the river boat captain and Stumpy in Rio Bravo. So am I missing any? Thanks in advance.

Howdy

Both the Duke and Walter Brennan were in How the West Was Won, but their scenes were far apart in the movie. Brennan played the leader of a bunch of river pirates who victimized Jimmie Stewart. The Duke's appearance was very brief as General Sherman talking to General Grant played by Harry Morgan.

Personally, I have always loved watching Walter Brennan. Probably the greatest character actor that ever lived. I was first aware of him as Grandpa in The Real McCoys on TV when I was a kid. He served in WWI and his vocal chords were damaged by poison gas. That's what gave him his high pitched whine. He lost most of his teeth in an accident in the 1930s, so his lack of teeth and his voice allowed him to play roles that were much older than he really was. But he could play anything, not just rural yokels.

In the list that BJT linked to shows Duke and Walter Brennan in "Three Godfathers". I have seen the movie several times and do not remember Walter Brennan being in the John Wayne-John Ford version. And he is not listed in the cast , even the uncredited roles.

But , Walter was in the 1936 version of "Three Godfathers" , he is one of the three outlaws , Sam "Gus" Barton.

I think whoever made up that list didn't research it very well. Kinda like the fact that they were both in "How The West Was Won" , that is a bit of a stretch also.

Just the facts , Ma'am , Rex :D

Thanks to all who answered, I mistook Old California for Dakota, my bad, but I had no idea of all the others and thanks for the background on Walter Brennan about his voice and teeth. I can remember the huge change in his character's appearrance in Red River without them!

Archived