SASS Wire Forum

How do you handle "local rules"?

Shooting Bull

Yeah and I'm the King of England . . .

No reason to address the original post as the answers given are spot on. Just a word of warning, if you hold your empty gun down at your side you can easily break the 170-I do it too, sometimes, but always keep that muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

I obey club rules, but I too would have taken that to the match director as it sounds like malarkey to me.

The other side of this coin is when several clubs in the same are have the same "club rules". Eventually there will be a group of shooters that believe the "club rules" are SASS rules and defend them to the death anywhere they shoot.

So, CL if you are 4th in line you are gonna shuffle your pistols down the table 3 times before holstering? Why? Just 3 more chances for something bad to happen. WAY too much handling. The Judge hisownself has said that the proper place for the loaded pistols is safely ensconced in their holsters. For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would prefer all that shuffling.

2 years ago they instituted that silly non-rule at Comancheria Days 09. I griped about it loud and long. Told 'em I would not be back for CD 10 if that non-rule would be in force. Maybe others griped about it too. Be that as it may, the committee decided it was an unnecessary hindrance and rescinded it for CD 10. Don't know if they had it this year as I could not afford to attend but I doubt it. If I know in advance a club has this non-rule I will not travel there.

I find it interesting that you mention your experience at Comancheria Days. It's at that range that I was taught to shoot. The Texican Rangers club is the only club we shot at for the first couple years. We knew nothing when we started so what we were taught we took as being official SASS rules. It was there that I saw most... not all... most shooters put their pistols in their holsters immediately after loading no matter where they were in line. Once we started shooting at other clubs we found that many expect a shooter to wait until he/she is next in line.

I personally make my decision on this particular matter based on what I feel is the most safe at that particular loading table. I load my rifle first. I usually try to load my pistols when I know I will not have to move them except to put them from the table to my holsters. In other words I prefer to do as little shuffling as possible but am sure to stay at the loading table once those pistols are in their holsters. I have taken them out a time or two once realizing I have forgot something from my cart.... like shotgun shells. :->

A word about the Texican Rangers....

We have many friends there. Some wonderful people we love to shoot with.... so please don't think I'm saying anything negative about anyone. Some very patient folks that made me want to keep shooting.

I was just pointing out that we only knew what we were taught until shooting at other clubs and finding that not everything we were taught was the only way of doing things. SASS rules are SASS RULES but some "rules" are really just someone's idea of the best way of doing things. Just have common sense and be safe.

I do think it is important for every shooter to know what the SASS Rules really are..... in other words read the book and ask questions when needed.

The other side of this coin is when several clubs in the same are have the same "club rules". Eventually there will be a group of shooters that believe the "club rules" are SASS rules and defend them to the death anywhere they shoot.

I have definitely seen that too.

I find it interesting that you mention your experience at Comancheria Days. It's at that range that I was taught to shoot. The Texican Rangers club is the only club we shot at for the first couple years. We knew nothing when we started so what we were taught we took as being official SASS rules. It was there that I saw most... not all... most shooters put their pistols in their holsters immediately after loading no matter where they were in line. Once we started shooting at other clubs we found that many expect a shooter to wait until he/she is next in line.

I personally make my decision on this particular matter based on what I feel is the most safe at that particular loading table. I load my rifle first. I usually try to load my pistols when I know I will not have to move them except to put them from the table to my holsters. In other words I prefer to do as little shuffling as possible but am sure to stay at the loading table once those pistols are in their holsters. I have taken them out a time or two once realizing I have forgot something from my cart.... like shotgun shells. :->

We have many friends there. Some wonderful people we love to shoot with.... so please don't think I'm saying anything negative about anyone. Some very patient folks that made me want to keep shooting.

I was just pointing out that we only knew what we were taught until shooting at other clubs and finding that not everything we were taught was the only way of doing things. SASS rules are SASS RULES but some "rules" are really just someone's idea of the best way of doing things. Just have common sense and be safe.

I do think it is important for every shooter to know what the SASS Rules really are..... in other words read the book and ask questions when needed.

I was just pointing out that we only knew what we were taught until shooting at other clubs and finding that not everything we were taught was the only way of doing things. SASS rules are SASS RULES but some "rules" are really just some one's idea of the best way of doing things. Just have common sense and be safe.

I'm a member of the Texican Rangers for several years now, and was unaware of the rule about moving your pistols down the loading table until you were next to shoot. As for shooting with one of my favorite ladies, you should have seen her face when I told her she had a procedural for "shooting while blonde".

I'm a member of the Texican Rangers for several years now, and was unaware of the rule about moving your pistols down the loading table until you were next to shoot. As for shooting with one of my favorite ladies, you should have seen her face when I told her she had a procedural for "shooting while blonde".

I didn't mean to insinuate that it IS or IS NOT a RULE that you holster pistols immediately or move them down the table until next to shoot.

I was not told that it was a "rule" that a shooter put their pistols in their holsters right away... just what the people I was shooting with at the time did and so I did the same.

I now wait until only one shooter is ahead of me.....usually.... like I said it depends on the set up of the loading table. I try to do what I see as being most safe for the situation.

That was exactly my point....

different folks do things differently

different clubs do things differently

Bad Hand.... you know you are one of my favorite guys too. I hope we get to shoot together again someday.

As for giving me a procedural for "shooting while blonde".....

that still makes me laugh.

I really hope this is not one of those times when the typed word on a page come across "wrong"

I'm not "whining" or complaining about ANYTHING just having a friendly discussion with fellow shooters.

BH, so far as I know that odious non-rule was only in place for one match -- CD09. At CD10 things were back to normal.

CL, the safest place for the loaded revolvers is always going to be in their respective holsters, not shuffled down and around some possibly rickety splintery table.

Archived