SASS Wire Forum

Lone Ranger Movie

Boon Doggle

From the AP:

"LOS ANGELES (AP) — A source close to Walt Disney Studios' much-anticipated big-screen adaptation of "The Lone Ranger" starring Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer says the production has been shut down.

The source says those involved are figuring out their next steps, and it's possible filming could resume. The source asked to remain anonymous because they're not authorized to speak publicly about the discussions.

The development was first reported in Deadline Hollywood, an entertainment industry news website. It cited difficulties with reducing the movie's estimated $250 million cost to $200 million.

Jerry Bruckheimer was set to produce the film with a script by Justin Haythe. Hammer was expected to play the title character, and Depp was set to play the Lone Ranger's partner, Tonto.

The Western was scheduled to be released Dec. 21, 2012."

Oh Well.

Well, I kinda wish they would have made it.

We have a tendency around here to be overly critical of new westerns before they even hit the screen based on industry news, rumor, personal dislike of certain actors etc. Then we holler that they don't make westerns anymore. So we'll face another glut of Jennifer Anniston romantic comedies and jewels like Final Destination 5, slasher movies, and re-makes of old lame tv series. :unsure:

Well, I kinda wish they would have made it.

We have a tendency around here to be overly critical of new westerns before they even hit the screen based on industry news, rumor, personal dislike of certain actors etc. Then we holler that they don't make westerns anymore. So we'll face another glut of Jennifer Anniston romantic comedies and jewels like Final Destination 5, slasher movies, and re-makes of old lame tv series. :unsure:

Don't get me wrong, I do want to see a "Lone Ranger" movie. But I don't want to watch another "Wild Wild West" or "Jonah Hex."

-Solo Sam

To add to Solo Sam's commentary, as I'd said in another thread I'm a bit aprehensive of Disney doing this project; I can see it being so "PC" as to be unrecognizable to us seasoned cowboy movie fans... and likely to give a very skewed image of the "legend" to the younger folk. -_-

For every "Wild, Wild West" and "Jonah Hex" there have been equally good westerns in the last few years. Last year's "True Grit" was great. In many ways better than the original. The current "Cowboys and Aliens" is a fun romp. I am sorry to hear "The Lone Ranger" has been shelved. I was looking forward to it. I really liked the premise of placing an emphasis on Tonto. We all have to admit The Lone Ranger is sort of a stuffed shirt. :rolleyes:

Change the concept to much, and re-makes fail. Check out all the TV shows made into movies, and fact speak for themselves. The last Lone Ranger stopped production after half filmed, a new director put in, storyline changes, budget cuts. Besides the Clayton Moore publicity, was a disaster.

Watch the first 20 minutes of this film, not bad. It falls apart after he puts the mask on. New director hired to finish film fast, below budget, and re-written story line. Film came in at 1/2 allotted budget, and it shows. Even Merle Haggard who sang the title song had his contract reduced. I feel this one isn't going to be something to further the legend, or westerns from the way its being handled publicity wise. The last one hurt westerns.

As to Tonto, Jay Silverheels was proud of his depiction, also was given equal opportunities in helping, and sometimes saving the Lone Ranger. MT

Nothing unusual about that, really. It's a business with a product that's expected to be profitable just like any other. "Gone With the Wind" went thru three directors and also had to deal with runaway production costs, as did "Tombstone" (2 directors). "Deadwood" cost $5 million per episode and was shut down in large part due to cost.

Hope they get it done. Could still be interesting.

Folks - don't think that 'The Lone Ranger' (and probably PC 'ized) is the only western that is coming up....

Plenty of others to suit (maybe) your fancy...

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=western&sort=moviemeter,asc&year=2012,2012

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Folks - don't think that 'The Lone Ranger' (and probably PC 'ized) is the only western that is coming up....

Plenty of others to suit (maybe) your fancy...

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=western&sort=moviemeter,asc&year=2012,2012

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Looking over this list: A remake of The Three Godfathers would be OK. I'll look forward to a Russel Crowe remake of Westworld....an excellent choice for a remake as the original was quite good, but long forgotten.

Archived