SASS Wire Forum

Editor or my failing memory.......

BJT

It was my recolection, in the dim and distant past, that the ROI manual indicated that the TO should not only callout the time for a stage but should show the score keeper the timer and verify the time the score keeper writes.

I can no longer find this in the ROI manual.

Is my memory faulty or was this edited out?

If it was edited out, why? In a game with gunfire and hearing protection, verbal communication of a string of numbers without error checking seems iffy at best.

Thanks,

BJT

It was my recolection, in the dim and distant past, that the ROI manual indicated that the TO should not only callout the time for a stage but should show the score keeper the timer and verify the time the score keeper writes.

I can no longer find this in the ROI manual.

Is my memory faulty or was this edited out?

If it was edited out, why? In a game with gunfire and hearing protection, verbal communication of a string of numbers without error checking seems iffy at best.

Thanks,

BJT

Seems I member' that too, BJT ??

WHY

I just searched thru all three handbooks and couldn't find anything about showing the score keeper the timer.

But, like you, I remember either being taught, or reading that you should.

Wow,

Hate to pile on but I just checked the books and could not find the "show the time" thing either.

But I distinctly remember my instructor emphasizing that the RO should show the timer to the scorekeeper to be sure and

minimize possible errors.

My personal procedure is - after last shot, cover the timer pickup and call to shooter their raw time, show him the readout if possible, poll the spotters, then repeat the time

while showing the readout to the scorekeeper while calling out any misses/penalties. Once I shut up the scorekeeper repeats to me what was said timewise/penalty wise.

seems to work for me.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Current R.O. I, page 8 under timer operator:

Once the stage begins, the Timer Operator stays within arm's length of the competitor until the stage is finished. The Timer Operator then immediately announces the stage time to the shooter. Only after revolvers are holstered and long guns are action opened, muzzles pointed in a safe direction, and the shooter is heading towards the unloading table does the Timer Operator, declare "Range is Clear" and conveys the time to the Score Keeper in a loud, clear voice.

K) The Timer Operator polls the three Spotters to determine the number of misses and/or procedural penalties input, and then calls those numbers to the Score Keeper and the competitor in a loud, clear voice.

But I too remember being told to do as you mentioned. It sure helps the score keeper!

My method at the end of the stage...

Cover the timer reciever.

Ensure that the shooter is focused on safely heading for the ULT.

Show the shooter their time (and I always try to throw an "atta boy" {or consolation} in there as appropriate)

I then poll the spotters and call out the shooters NAME, their penalties and the time so everyone (the folks who are spectatin' want to know how the shooter did as well) hears the call.

I call out the time in time format and numerical format.

"Score for Hot Foot - The spotters say ONE miss - Time is Eighteen point fifty six. ONE EIGHT POINT FIVE SIX

As I am walking to the scorekeeper - I repeat the time and the penalty count.

"Eighteen POINT fifty-six and ONE miss"

I show the scorekeeper the time and stand there until I see it written down.

I also try to remember to watch and make sure that the times are being recorded for the correct shooter.

I can make an educated guess as to why the 'change'. A number of RO's showed the time to the scorekeeper without reporting it out loud. A loud, clear voice cuts down on the 'secrecy' and possible 'errors' of comission and omission. ;)

If true, the baby is out back lying in the bath water. Showing the scorekeeper the timer is not in conflict with announcing the time loudly and clearly.

I am sure there is cheating somewhere, sometime but I am equally sure that misunderstood times and number transpositions are far, far more common......

I can make an educated guess as to why the 'change'. A number of RO's showed the time to the scorekeeper without reporting it out loud. A loud, clear voice cuts down on the 'secrecy' and possible 'errors' of comission and omission. ;)

Archived