SASS Wire Forum

The time as come, Folks

I am in need of information on how to rig a bottom bouncer to my fishing rig so I can go WALLEYE fishing.

Got a seven foot rod with fifteen pound test line as the main line with a casting type reel. My question to you fellow piscatorial chasers is what do I do for terminal gear. I suspect that a bottom bouncer is attached to the main line with a leader and hook and bait. But I am pretty much a lamb in the woods from there. What kind of terminal gear should I use?

Thinking of fishing Lake Roosevelt or the upper Columbia.

I know that it isn't alligator hunting, but it is as good as it gets here in the Pacific North Wet.

BMC

If I am wanting to drag it on the bottom I usually use a three way swivel tied to the main line. To that I attach a sinker (weight depending on the lure/water/bottom). Off the remaining point I use a three foot piece of premium line (smaller diameter for the weight rating) and I like a tube lure or a live minnow. A minnow is the more sure thing, but I hate messing with them unless the walley are out to just make me mad.

On days that I just can't get a bite I normally use a 1 to 2 lbs rock tied to a 1/4 stick of explosives (note: use US made cannon fuse as some of the cheaper Chinese stuff just does not burn well underwater).

BMC

If I am wanting to drag it on the bottom I usually use a three way swivel tied to the main line. To that I attach a sinker (weight depending on the lure/water/bottom). Off the remaining point I use a three foot piece of premium line (smaller diameter for the weight rating) and I like a tube lure or a live minnow. A minnow is the more sure thing, but I hate messing with them unless the walley are out to just make me mad.

On days that I just can't get a bite I normally use a 1 to 2 lbs rock tied to a 1/4 stick of explosives (note: use US made cannon fuse as some of the cheaper Chinese stuff just does not burn well underwater).

Three way sounds like the way to go. I can not use minnow here in Warshington State. Don't get me started on the WDFW.

Gulp alive Leach?

Maybe even some feather flies, fished on the terminal?

I've had good luck here as well as in KS with a rig similar to yours. I use a plain or painted lead head jig with a big 'ol night-crawler on it, puffed up with air, and slow drift it on the bottom. It seems to bounce pretty good but can result in hang ups if the bottom is trashy.

First one I ever caught I started in bare handed to get my jig back, fortunately the guy I was fishing with stopped me in time to prevent serious punctures. They are toothy!

Safe trails,

CKid

BMC

I have had a lot of luck with tube baits. They even make little floats you can stuff in 'em for a bit of float action. I have also put a small fly on a trailer hook a bit behind the tube for short bites. If they are hitting really easy this will sometimes get you a few more.

The trick here (Oklahoma) is making sure whatever has the hook in it is light and floats really easy over the bottom structure. Seems like every lake bottom we have is rock, barb wire, and tree tops. That is also why I have my trailer line a few #'s lighter than my main line. That way if I do have to break it off I normally just have to replace either a sinker or just tie on a new bait instead of riggint the whole thing over.

I really think walley is about the best eating lake fish I have had.

One of the best walley rigs I have used is to use a floating jig head with a minnow. About 2 - 3 feet from the jig head I attach a sinker, about a 1 ounce should do. The sinker bounces along the bottom while the jig and minnow rise up from there. You don't need to reel it in much just bob it along while taking a slow crank on the reel. Some like a heavier sinker but I don't as you can't really feel the walleye when they start to take the bait very well unless they attack the bait. This worked in Canada with pretty good results. It was the rig the guides used in areas where it was fished hard.

Three way sounds like the way to go. I can not use minnow here in Warshington State. Don't get me started on the WDFW.

Gulp alive Leach?

Maybe even some feather flies, fished on the terminal?

Ok Badger, up in in da land of ice and snow, we use a steel leader. Member, dems toothy critters.

I'd use a rainbow chub. Dey are not classifed as a minnow.

I am in need of information on how to rig a bottom bouncer to my fishing rig so I can go WALLEYE fishing.

Got a seven foot rod with fifteen pound test line as the main line with a casting type reel. My question to you fellow piscatorial chasers is what do I do for terminal gear. I suspect that a bottom bouncer is attached to the main line with a leader and hook and bait. But I am pretty much a lamb in the woods from there. What kind of terminal gear should I use?

Thinking of fishing Lake Roosevelt or the upper Columbia.

I know that it isn't alligator hunting, but it is as good as it gets here in the Pacific North Wet.

Not sure, a bottom bounce was what my brothers did to the girls in the family in the river when i was little.. lol...

Not sure, a bottom bounce was what my brothers did to the girls in the family in the river when i was little.. lol...

Deja, that statement is just rife with opportunity for smart a$$ remark from a old smart a$$ like me.

But to enlighten a GIRL about the real important things in life like, beer, fishing, and scratching.

A bottom bouncer is a wire that is bent in a 90 degree angle, with a piece of lead on the one leg and a snap swivel on the other leg. It bounces off the bottom and keeps the lure/bait off the bottom.

It has nothing to do with shooting. I doubt that it has any real connection with young ladies and river bottoms. Although that is an interesting concept. I have to admit that back in the day, I did attempt to introduce several young ladies to the river bottom, but it was not for fishing. Devil that I am. :rolleyes:

I would throw in my suggestion, but being that I was cursed by the fishing gods (I couldn't catch starving piranha in an aquarium) I think I will defer to those not so cursed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I know why you are an attorney, J Mark. I have never heard or read a more descriptive assement of a fisherman of my caliber. A man with such a gift of words is either an Irish Pub keeper or an attorney.

Of course, I subscribe to the theory that it is all about the concept of going out and sitting in a boat and drinking beer. Fish be darned. That is why they have fish markets. :lol: :lol:

As my wife often says to me about car repair. "That is how some men earn a living. Take it in to the shop.

PLEASE!"

Archived