SASS Wire Forum

Memorial Day flag Etiquette

I understand that the flag is to be flown at half staff on Memorial Day until noon and then raised to full staff.

I presume that the flag is flown at full staff all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday?

Yep. And on Monday, raise it to full, then lower it to half. At noon, take it to full.

We don't have a flag pole, but our flag flies in front of our home 24/7 (yes, its lite up at night).

Highest regards to our men amd women who have died serving. Of course we always honor the same with those who have amd are serving today.

GG

Dont worry so much about etiquette Badger------

Show the colors!!!!!

tiEtiquettequette

It's not just etiquette. It's the US Flag code

Title 4 Chapter 1 Sec 7m

..On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff.

It's not just etiquette. It's the US Flag code

Title 4 Chapter 1 Sec 7m

..On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff.

Better somethin' than nothin'...of course, if there's a pole utilized the code should be utilized.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Dont worry so much about etiquette Badger------

Show the colors!!!!!

tiEtiquettequette

I try to do that each day, Boss

:FlagAm:

I recall as a lad that my home town would put out flags all along the main street on Memorial Day and The Fourth of July. The American Legion and the VFW also sold poppies. Everybody in town would sport a poppy. I seldom see them any more. :(

UB was somehow able to instruct me:

If you have a flag pole that doesn't allow you to fly the flag at half mast, black ribbons can be used to signify mourning.

Salute to all our veterans, living and dead.

If you have a flag pole that doesn't allow you to fly the flag at half mast, black ribbons can be used to signify mourning.

My dad used to set the front door flag to horizontal for mourning and return it to 45 deg up for normal at noon and I have continued that practice... till this postI did not know that it was wrong as most folks that had door flags in our area did the same. but in truth I do seem to be the only person doing it that way these days... thanks for the heads up. :FlagAm:

Not required (no mention of it in the Flag Code) - however, it is a good sentiment.

http://www.law.corne...uscode/4/7.html

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html

and

http://www.va.gov/opa/speceven/memday/

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I try to do that each day, Boss

:FlagAm:

I recall as a lad that my home town would put out flags all along the main street on Memorial Day and The Fourth of July. The American Legion and the VFW also sold poppies. Everybody in town would sport a poppy. I seldom see them any more. :(

Same round here---SAD!

Archived