SASS Wire Forum

Slightly out there

Pards,

I need some help. I offered to help a friend hook up her 5th wheel so she could come out and visit with us at a big shoot. I have never even seen how a 5th wheel hitch works, so i need all the help, advice, thoughts etc. you all have to offer. I could even tell you what kind of trailer it is.

HELP !!

There is a specific order in which you must do things. I would never attempt to tell someone how to do it over the Wire. It's not complicated, but it's not like hooking up to a boat trailer.

DAS

Pards,

I need some help. I offered to help a friend hook up her 5th wheel so she could come out and visit with us at a big shoot. I have never even seen how a 5th wheel hitch works, so i need all the help, advice, thoughts etc. you all have to offer. I could even tell you what kind of trailer it is.

HELP !!

Here is a start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-oAMbUZ7XE

Howdy Marshall Phil

1 Open the hitch on the truck.

2 Line the hitch up with the pin.

3 Raise or lower the trailer so the hitch is just a little higher than the plate the pin is on.

4 Back the truck in to the hitch, the trailer should ride up onto the hitch and with a little luck lock onto the pin.

5 Hook up trailer electical cable and brake breakaway cable

6 before raising the front trailer jacks, Make sure the trailer wheels are chocked and put the truck in gear and try to pull forward just a little to insure the hitch has locked onto the pin.

7 Raise front trailer jacks.

8 Do A walk around , TV antenna down?, Wheel chocks out?, Steps up?

You should be set to go.

Willy B'

First I would lower the tailgate! :lol:

Howdy Marshall Phil

3 Raise or lower the trailer so the hitch is just a little higher than the plate the pin is on.

4 Back the truck in to the hitch, the trailer should ride up onto the hitch and with a little luck lock onto the pin.

6 before raising the front trailer jacks, Make sure the trailer wheels are chocked and put the truck in gear and try to pull forward just a little to insure the hitch has locked onto the pin.

You should be set to go.

Willy B'

Howdy Marshall Phil

You should be set to go.

Willy B'

Do What Willy said except do 6 before 5

Do What Willy said except do 6 before 5

Before Backing up lower tailgate.

After hooking everything up raise tailgate.

The instructions that came with my hitchs say to have the bearing surface on the trailer slightly lower than the top of the 5th wheel. The angled sections actually are designed to lift the front of the trailer taking pressure of the legs somewhat.

Also I you had the 5th wheel front access cover raised and latched. Let it hang because if you have it up and back the truck in with tailgate down, cannot close it.

I do not do the pull fwd step for two reasons, my first hitch had a positive indicator for locked, my new hitch the release lever does not go into position without the pin being latched.

Were it my first time hooking up a trailer at all or an unfamiliar hitch. Makes good sense to verify proper latch prior to raising legs, but on must not drag the trailer as the legs can be seriously damaged.

Archived