SASS Wire Forum

Defend the Roost 2011 - Biggest Little Shoot in the Desert

Greetings the fire.

Please take a look on the EVENTS Wire, page 1 at 10 6 for all the information on this annual shoot.

Thanks.

Just George

Match Director

Thought I'd bring this to the top for weekenders.

Have a look. You may just decide you want in on all the fun in October.

We have already signed up 26 shooters. The limit on this shoot is 130 shooters.

Thanks.

Just George

This shoot has more "Bang-for-your bucks" than ANY other shoot in SASS! :FlagAm:

The side matches use more rnds. than others use for their main matches ;)

Then there is the food......OMG,, you won't be hungry for a week :lol:

Camping is FREE and you camp close to the shooting as in NO LONG HIKES <_<

Gas prices SUCK, but this shoot is well worth it B)

Cheers,

LG

Folks if you like to shoot, this is the match for you. Bring every gun in your safe and all the ammo you can get your hands on, I guarantee you'll use more of it than you could possibly imagine. Just George and his gang put on one of the best matches in all of SASS. :FlagAm:

Greetings all.

The work party at the range yesterday reports that things are coming along real good. We have some new things in store for Defend the Roost this year and we are sure you will enjoy them. BUT......you have to be here to do so. :)

Get your applications in early and take part in the early registration discounts. See our post in the EVENTS Wire at 10 06 on page 1.

Just George

Match Director

760-677-9109

Greetings all.

The latest Shooter List has been posted. Check it out on the SASS Events Wire, page 1 at 10 6.

Thanks for taking a look.

Just George

"Defend the Roost" is the best shoot bar non...I know...better than EOT...been there

better than Winter Range...I know...been there...

better than Western Regional...I know...been there...been the Match Director two years running...you will not find a match where you NEED to bring over 700 rounds of ammo...or you won't be able to shoot everything that's offered...SO...call Just George or go the club web site RRV website :D if you're not there Lumpy has a .45-90 that can reach out and hit Nevada...

Justin O. Sheriff

Gee Wiz Justin O Sheriff, thanks for the kind words. The Robbers Roost Vigilantes do try hard to put on a match

the shooters will enjoy. I guess that's why we have so many return shooters.

Aother reason our shooters keep coming back is the amount of FREE :D side matches we offer throughout the 4-day shoot.

Below you will see all of them. Each has a cowboy and cowgirl :wub: category and we award 3-deep in every side match.

Free side matches

Quigley single shot

45 ACP

Double Action Wild Bunch Revolver

Pocket Pistol

Derringer

22 Pistol

Speed Rifle

22 Rifle

Speed Pistol

Long range lever Pistol cal

Long range lever Rifle cal

Military bolt action rifle

Speed double barrel

Speed 97

Speed 87

Great Long Range Buffalo Hunt –A

Great Long Range Buffalo Hunt – B

Team Post Cutting

Team Shootout

Couples Shootout

Last Man/Woman Standing

The Great Train Robbery Stage (10 guns and 63 rounds)

3-stage Wild Bunch match

3-stage BP Night Shoot

Stoke-n-Shoot, a tribute to John Moses Browning

Pay to Play Side Matches

Cowboy Clays

Pot Shot

3-stage Warm up Match

You would be hard pressed to find more shooting for your dollar anywhere.

Check out the SASS Events Wire on page 2 at 10 6 for all the information.

We'd sure like to see you here.

Just George

Match Director

760-677-9109

Greetings all.

Here is the answer many of you have asked concerning one of our newest side matches.

The StrokeStoke-n-Shoot. a tribute to 100 years of the 1911 ACP and John Moses Browning.

The side match is shot using a Mil Spec 1911 and a Winchester 1887, 1893 or 1897 shotgun.

The 1911 will shoot 14 rounds from 2 magazines. The shotgun will shoot 7 rounds.

Shotgun is stoked with 5 rounds action closed on an empty chamber. Pistol may be holstered or staged on the table, magazine inserted, slide forward on an empty chamber.

Shooter is standing at position 1 with hands on hat. After the beep the shooter engages 3 pistol targets in a double tap continuous Nevada Sweep. With slide locked back drop empty mag and ground pistol. Shooter will move to position 2 and engage 3 knockdowns once each, call for the bird to be launched and engage flyer. If flyer is hit place last round on dump target. If flyer is missed place last round on dump target. Re-load 2 rounds from the body and engage knockdowns. All knockdowns must go down to count. A miss on the dump plate is a miss. Clear shotgun and render a hand salute to John Moses Browning.

There you have it folks. Just another way to have even more fun at Defend the Roost 2011.

Come on now, you know you want to come.

Just George

Match Director

Greetings Fire.

We've had a lot of interest on another of our new side Matches for Defend the Roost. The Great Long Range Buffalo Hunt.

This is a precision long range event with categories in :ph34r: black powder :ph34r: and smokeless powder, men and ladies. Targets are at 400, 500 and 600 yards. Shooter has 5 min to place 2 rounds on each target. Any position is allowed as are shooting sticks. Rifle is restricted to a single shot available before 1900.

This is a fun event for the long range shooters and just adds a great side match to Defend the Roost.

Just George

Match Director

760-677-9109

And a GIRL won the FIRST of The Great Long Range Buffalo Hunt matches.

PLUS, she was the ONLY ONE to hit the 600 yd targets with both shots using a Shiloh Sharps in .45-90 caliber.

Her name is "Ima Schofield" and she's my wife :wub:

Yes folks, she is a descendant of "that" Schofield family. Her last name really is Schofield. :FlagAm:

Cheers,

LG

Greetings all.

We are sitting at just under 4 months before this gala event kicks off.

4-days of shootin, 4-days of fun and 4-days of gatherin'.

Check it out here Robbers Roost Vigilantes

Just George

Match Director

760-677-9109

Greetings all.

Just a reminder that the 13th annual Defend the Roost is coming up, Oct 6th thru Oct 9th, 2011, in Ridgecrest, Ca. We’re in the high desert country of Kern County and centrally located in Southern California.

We have 4-days of shooting, the Yelping Coyote Saloon, the Big Top Tent, 12 main match stages, 26 side matches and some of the best food this side of the Mississippi. Awards are 3-deep no matter what and every side match has a ladies category. And don’t forget the Friday night Black Powder shoot. And, while you’re not forgetting, remember we have a 3-stage Wild Bunch match and you can join in the Great Train Robbery side match. The darn near famous side match where you use 10 guns and shoot 65 rounds. It takes about 2 mins to shoot and is a lot of fun.

Check it out here Robbers Roost Vigilantes

Thanks for taking a look.

Just George

Match Director

Can I come with my DOG and Shotgun Bra!!

ANY member of the Dooley Gang, and his dog, are always welcome at Defend the Roost. :D Now, as for the shotgun bra............. :blink:

we'll have to do some mighty fine thinking on that! Heavy straps? Push ups? We'll have to see.

Hey Geo. why don't you tell the folks, in DETAIL, what you serving for dinner and how your cooking it?

I'm hungry, NOW!

LG

Lumpy, "in detail" would give away my secret stuff!

However, it all starts, based on 130 eaters, with 30 to 35 racks of prime Saint Louis style pork spare ribs, 20 or so Tri-tip roasts and in the neighborhood of 175 of Johnsonvilles best brauts. The hickory fired smokers will start up the process around noon to give the ribs at least 4 hours of slow cookin' hickory smokin' time. The Tri tips take about 2 hours as well so the place smells like the best Oklahoma BBQ joint you've ever been in. Brauts are last in and get done in less than an hour. All the while the baked spuds are doing their thing in the ovens. When the smokin's done it's onto the fire finish grill for 15 to 30 mins with everything but the spuds. Now I can't tell ya what goes in my BBQ sauce, but I've been asked to bottle and sell it. NOPE! Reserved me and my friends, that's it!

Remember now, this is a sit down plated banquet in the Big Top Tent. We serve you. No buffet lines to stand in. And you get all three meats. Finish it off with coffee and desert and oh my, you will be a happy camper. Of course while some of this is going on the Yelping Coyote Saloon will be open and it just can not get better than that!

There ya go Lumpy. Not quite "in detail", but close.

Just (let's shoot) George

But can the Bib be tied down???

Well, of course you can tie IT down, but I'm not sure on those WIRE thingies yet. Can you send a photo?

And we all know that Lumpy needs a bib when he drinks water, let alone bbq ribs!

Still lots of room for shooters. See here RRV web site for yourself.

Just George

Bad Bascomb, ya done real good with that wing tied up, even the shotgun was nice.

Do ya want to shoot Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter? We have 3 FCGF's signed up as of today. Sure would like to see more of them get in on all the :ph34r: fun.

Look here for information Defend the Roost 2011 for all the fun and shooting this annual is about.

Just George

Match Director

Greetings shooters!

I'm getting lots of questions about the breakfast and lunch menus for Defend the Roost 2011. So, here ya are..............

Defend the Roost 2011 Breakfast and Lunch Menu

Thursday

Breakfast - 7am

Eggs cooked to order, Bacon, Hash browns, OJ and coffee

Lunch - noon

Hamburger/cheeseburger with all the fixin’s, chips, soda and cookie

Friday

Breakfast – 7am

Hotcakes, scrambled eggs, sausage links, OJ and coffee

Lunch - noon

2-all beef hot dogs with all the fixin’s, chili, chips, soda and brownie

Pot Luck – 5pm

Club sponsored BBQ Pork Tenderloins

Saturday

Breakfast – 7am

Biscuit and gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage links, OJ and coffee

Lunch - noon

Fresh on the range made Sub sandwich, potato salad, chips, soda and cookie

Now just a reminder, all breakfast and lunch meals are $5.00, yes, that's five dollars, each. If you choose Meal Deal #1 you get an even deeper discount on ALL the meals. And of course, the Club sponsored Pot Luck meat is a free bbq, just for you.

Check it all out here, Defend the Roost 2011

Just George

Match Director and Grill Master

Greetings all.

Approaching the middle of July and registrations are going good. Remember to get in on the early registration savings.

4-days of shooting and great fun.

See everything right here......Defend the Roost 2011

400-500-600 yd BPCR "gong" shoot.

FWIW: My wife :wub: won the first one at RRV, using a Shiloh Sharps .45-90 firing BP.

Cheers,

LG

Is that all...I thought I going to need some dogs to pull the chair to chase them buffalo for shoot...If I can make it out there I have something that will reach and them some...Shooting sticks OK I hope...Ar least them targets aren't moving...

Texas Lizard

Is that all...I thought I going to need some dogs to pull the chair to chase them buffalo for shoot...If I can make it out there I have something that will reach and them some...Shooting sticks OK I hope...Ar least them targets aren't moving...

Texas Lizard

As far as targets NOT moving.......You haven't seen the wind we have in Ridgecrest :lol:

X-sticks are OK and you can shoot prone if you want.

Cheers,

LG

As far as targets NOT moving.......You haven't seen the wind we have in Ridgecrest :lol:

X-sticks are OK and you can shoot prone if you want.

Cheers,

LG

You can shoot prone if you want...Great from a wheelchair...Getting too old, to jump in and out...Sticks sound very nice, just need some a little longer than what I have seen and what I have...Already working on this project...As for the wind, I just wave my hand and it all stops for me to shoot...Well sometimes it works, OK it never works...But its a nice thought...

Texas Lizard

OK, what is it Long Range Buffalo Hunt...

Texas Lizard

Well Texas Lizard, it works this way.

We have targets at 400 yards, 500 yards and 600 yards. Any rifle considered SASS legal can be used. There's a category for smokeless and Black Powder and for period correct scopes, mens and lady categories as well. Shooter may use any shooting position. Since it's a know distance there are no sighters. The shooter has 5 mins to hit each target twice.

Current top gun is Ima Schofield out of Palmdale, CA, being the only shooter to hit the 600 yard target twice during the 2011 SASS California Black Powder Shootout at the 5th Resurrection at Robbers Roost this past May.

This is a fun side match and we encourage everyone to try it. We'll lend you a rifle and give ya the ammo.

Thanks for asking.

Just George

Well Texas Lizard, it works this way.

We have targets at 400 yards, 500 yards and 600 yards. Any rifle considered SASS legal can be used. There's a category for smokeless and Black Powder and for period correct scopes, mens and lady categories as well. Shooter may use any shooting position. Since it's a know distance there are no sighters. The shooter has 5 mins to hit each target twice.

Current top gun is Ima Schofield out of Palmdale, CA, being the only shooter to hit the 600 yard target twice during the 2011 SASS California Black Powder Shootout at the 5th Resurrection at Robbers Roost this past May.

This is a fun side match and we encourage everyone to try it. We'll lend you a rifle and give ya the ammo.

Thanks for asking.

Just George

How many tries do I get, to hit them twice...As many as I can send down range??

Texas Lizard

How many tries do I get, to hit them twice...As many as I can send down range??

Texas Lizard

Naw, we don't want them buffalos to scatter to far from the range. Ya get to shoot twice at each target. We do offer the side match on two days. Ya could A the first day and then B the second day. Only the first day would count for score, but heck, it's twice the shooting for the same price of FREE!

Archived