SASS Wire Forum

Disassembling JB weld

Okay, I had a brain f@rt recently. I was fitting a set of poly-ivory grips to a nickeled gripframe. The grips are of the three piece type. I was using JB weld to cement them together. Yep, I used too much and stuck them to the gripframe.

While I am confident I could separate them, I am concerned about damaging the nickle plating.

Any ideas?

Can you use some sort of thin tool to slip in between the grip and gripframe, then give it a little tap? That would pop it loose if you can get in there. If this is a SAA type gripframe that has a backstrap and frontstrap, can you separate the two pieces of the gripframe?

Heat would soften the JB Weld, but ruin the grips. A solvent, such as acetone, might soften the JB, but also ruin the grips.

Better to wreck the grips than the gripframe. Always sacrifice the cheapest part!

P.S. I just thought of this. Remove the screws from the backstrap (the two by the hammer and the one on the bottom). Take a rubber mallet and smack it on the frontstrap (where your fingers would be while holding the gun) . That might pop it loose.

Can you use some sort of thin tool to slip in between the grip and gripframe, then give it a little tap? That would pop it loose if you can get in there. If this is a SAA type gripframe that has a backstrap and frontstrap, can you separate the two pieces of the gripframe?

Heat would soften the JB Weld, but ruin the grips. A solvent, such as acetone, might soften the JB, but also ruin the grips.

Better to wreck the grips than the gripframe. Always sacrifice the cheapest part!

P.S. I just thought of this. Remove the screws from the backstrap (the two by the hammer and the one on the bottom). Take a rubber mallet and smack it on the frontstrap (where your fingers would be while holding the gun) . That might pop it loose.

:FlagAm: Doc has the right idea about CAREFULLY using the rubber mallet on the front strap of the grip frame. But, to further the hope of being successful, place the frames in the freezer at least overnight. The JB Weld at freezing temps becomes very brittle, due to it's hardness when cured. Much more brittle than the grip panels. With a nice tap, should readily break loose.

In the future, use a release agent on the metal components. The easiest and cheapest in this case would be petroleum jelly or wheel bearing grease. . Coat the metal parts with said release agent and no more stuck to the gun scenarios.

Regards,

Chas B. Wolfson

:FlagAm: Doc has the right idea about CAREFULLY using the rubber mallet on the front strap of the grip frame. But, to further the hope of being successful, place the frames in the freezer at least overnight. The JB Weld at freezing temps becomes very brittle, due to it's hardness when cured. Much more brittle than the grip panels. With a nice tap, should readily break loose.

In the future, use a release agent on the metal components. The easiest and cheapest in this case would be petroleum jelly or wheel bearing grease. . Coat the metal parts with said release agent and no more stuck to the gun scenarios.

Regards,

Chas B. Wolfson

They are only stuck on the backstrap. I can take it off separately and freeze it. I'm just worried about the nickle plating coming with it.

If I get them apart, I'll get a screw and Eustachian and attach them THAT way!

Soak the area in WD-40 and put in the oven at 125*F till done :lol:

Really, it will soften the JB and you be able to separate them. It's worked for me.

Good luck,

LG

or shoot with us in Pahrump NV

in July and August

just leave em on the loading table in the sun, bout as long as it takes to

soft boil an egg

the result will be

bout the same surface temp as the above listed family secret recipie :lol:

we will have fun at the same time B)

CJ, before you starting 'operating' on the grips with the JB Weld - if it was me, I'd do an exploratory 'operation' with JB alone. Would hate to hear your grips 'died on the operating table' :D

CJ, before you starting 'operating' on the grips with the JB Weld - if it was me, I'd do an exploratory 'operation' with JB alone. Would hate to hear your grips 'died on the operating table' :D

I'm not that worried about the grips, I'm more concerned about the nickle plating!

I'm not that worried about the grips, I'm more concerned about the nickle plating!

resonable abount of heat, will weaken the jb weld, long before the plating

trust me

leaving them in the deset sun for just bout 20 min, this summer will work

ya can mail em to be for the test

I will return them, just for the story tellin rights :lol:

resonable abount of heat, will weaken the jb weld, long before the plating

trust me

leaving them in the deset sun for just bout 20 min, this summer will work

ya can mail em to be for the test

I will return them, just for the story tellin rights :lol:

Trust me, it gets that hot here, too. Thanks for the offer, though.:D

They are only stuck on the backstrap. I can take it off separately and freeze it. I'm just worried about the nickle plating coming with it.

If I get them apart, I'll get a screw and Eustachian and attach them THAT way!

If you're using one of those, then no wonder it got screwed up... :blink:

Eustachian: The tube that links the pharynx to the middle ear...

Try one of THESE... :FlagAm:

Escutcheon:An item of door furniture, or sleeve that surrounds a keyhole, screw or lock cylinder. ;)

If you're using one of those, then no wonder it got screwed up... :blink:

Eustachian: The tube that links the pharynx to the middle ear...

Try one of THESE... :FlagAm:

Escutcheon:An item of door furniture, or sleeve that surrounds a keyhole, screw or lock cylinder. ;)

Don't blame me, blame the spell check!:blush:

Archived